Tire noise and rotations

I just had the tires rotated on my wife’s Buick Rondevous. The tires have not been rotated in about 10-12K. After rotating we imediatly noticed a loud high pitched rumble/werble from the front of the truck even though these tires were in better shape then the old fronts. What can cause this and will it go away??

bump

While the tread may have looked better it may not have been as evenly worn. It is also true that deeper tread usually means more noise.

It may go away as it wears in the new location or it may not.

I should also note that even in a FWD car (or any car/truck) the best tyres should be on the back not the front. While if there is not a significant difference it is good to rotate to even out wear, you don’t want tyres on the back that have noticeable less traction because in an emergency condition, turning or stopping, the back end will loose traction and you will find yourself looking where you were and not where you are going with little or no chance of regaining control.

Second vote for “the rear tires had irregular wear, even though they had more tread remaining”.

Look at the rear alignment. That is what will cause the tires to wear irregualrly. BTW, “in Spec” isn’t good enough. My experience is that the alignment settings have to be within the inner half of the tolerance to avoid tire wear probablems.

You must not be tardy about tire rotation for a front driver or you will have exactly what you describe; noisy tires. It has been my experience with front drivers that rear tires wear oddly and must be rotated in time per the schedule in your owner’s manual, especially when new. The rear wheels may be in alignment per specification but the odd wear will still take place.

Regarding noise: We have two front drive cars that will quiet down if tire rotation is late and I believe the ability to correct is a function of tire width. A relatively narrow tire such as 165/80R13 or 195/70R14 will quiet down for us but our other car with wider tires will not. Yours may or may not quiet down. If you raise and backup support your vehicle and closely view your formerly rear tires while you turn them, you should find evidence of flat-spotting on the outer tread rows. That is the noisemaker.

Are you sure they haven’t overtightened the lugnuts?