Tire load range

I wouldn’t be surprised if stock wheels couldn’t handle pressures they weren’t designed for.

As far as tires are concerned, if a truck was sold new with load range C tires it is a light duty truck. Heavy duty trucks are equipped with load range D or higher tires. Heavy duty pickups and vans are easily identified by the 8 lug bolt wheels and the full floating rear axle hubs.Until recently 16 inch tube type and 16.5 inch tubeless tires indicated heavy duty. Lately the larger wheel diameters have become stylish and are on even the lightest duty models.

A load range E tire was designed to have a working/running pressure of 60-80 psi.

Simply lowering the pressure to the 30 or so recommended for original tires will mean the tires will have additional sidewall flex from the underinflation, and you will probably notice poorer handling as far as cornering and stopping.

Running the tires at 60-80 psi will make the tires handle better but the wheels and valve stems on your 4-Runner weren’t designed for that kind of pressure.

Also, I don’t know if fuel economy is an issue but you are certain to use more gas with those heavier tires.

Now i can sell the load range D and buy load range C
Take a loss but but maybe finally have whats right

Crap

A couple of thoughts:

No, the operating pressure for LT type tires is based on the tire load tables - which goes down to as low as 35 psi - and while 60 to 80 psi is common, some trucks call for as low as 45 psi.

Was anyone suggesting using more than 45 psi? Remember, this isn’t a truck that normally uses an LT tire, so it’s an odd fitment.

And, No, a Load Range E can be used at Load Range C conditions with no ill effect.

@ Capri

Do i understand yoiu right in that the load range E im running will NOT be damaged running them at lower PSI? They are at 35 now. I was thinking i shpoud up them to 45 because these guys had me worried

To top it off there isnt a C load range tire in this town of the flavor i want. Sold out and non for about 6 weeks. I asked one guy if this was a seasonal tire issue or supply and demand. He said he wasnt sure but thought maybe Goodyear was building a couple new plants…

I would inflate the tires to 40 psi and drive on them. If they proved to handle and stop as well as the OE tires they could be left on till they wear out. But if driving performance is affected it would seem worthwhile to take the hit and switch back to Load Range C.

I plan on going to C Range. Wondering if im going to hurt the E Range running them at 40

Yes, that is what I was saying.

Great. I upped the pressure to 40psi

Bad bearing:

No I was saying that 35 psi is OK. In my opinion 40 psi is way over inflated. The math says that those new tires carry the same load as your old tires at the same pressure. So 40 psi all around would be 50% overinflated in the front and depending on whether 29 or 35 psi is the correct inflation - 38% or 14%.

But do what you want. I just want you to be sure you understand what you are doing.

Thanks Racer I Greatly Appreciate that info

However we got about 8 inches of heavy wet snow and i went out to play in it and came to the conclusion that the 245/16’s are too much for the little 22re
I already sized down …

Thanks again