Tire date code

Had a tire replaced due to road damage. We had road hazard warranty. New tire is dated 3520. Or 2 years old. Dealer had 1 tire in stock that brand/model and size. Oddball. 65 series. 2 yr old is fine?

It should not be a problem at all.

1 Like

Was the tire stored inside the shop/warehouse, temperature controlled environment, & out of direct sunlight?

Do you have any other tires that are nearly 2 years old? Every tire I own is more than 2 years old.

Well, Iā€™d prefer a 2022 new tire

1 Like

Iā€™d prefer a 2010 tire that was built with traditional additives to inhibit dry rot like we had in the 90s.

Not a chance in hell Iā€™d buy a tire 12 years old. Unless it was an emergency situation and was the only option.

2 Likes

The tire industry thinks that anything newer than 6 years old is suitable for sale as a ā€œNewā€ tire. I somewhat disagree.

The company I worked for tested 3 year old tires and couldnā€™t find a difference - and thatā€™s what I go with.

3 Likes

More dangerous nonsense from the Snowman .

3 Likes

Shop wanted $15 for new warranty. Said I had used the warranty on old tire and I needed a new warranty. For new tire. Dang extended warrantyā€™s.

What else would you expect from the SNOWMAN.

2 Likes

If I was going to drive enough that the tire would be worn out in 2 to 3 years, I would take it.

I recently put new tires on a vehicle that doesnā€™t get much use. I told the tire shop that the tires need to be less than 1 year old, or I would not accept. I told the tire shop if its older than 1 year ā€œget it out of here!ā€ This is because I am not paying new price for an aged tire that I will have to replace sooner because I was sold old stock.

Tyres have use-by dates as the compounds harden and affect braking and handling. That someone doesnā€™t notice the difference with old tyres is a fault with their perception or they do not put themselves in ā€˜at risk situationsā€™. I choose tyres which give maximum performance way ahead of longevity. I also mention that cars which have been suspension modified put tyres to the test. Buy current year and preferably within a month or two of the construction date on the tyres and toss them after 3 yearsā€¦no matter how much or how little tread is legally remaining. Same story on indemnification as all modā€™s and bad serviceā€¦as an assessor if your tyres are ā€˜out of dateā€™ I could refuse your insurance an more readily if the tyres are significantly involved in the damage.

I doubt if that is common practice even where ever you live . Our resident tire expert does not say to toss tires after 3 years . I have no idea what this assessor position is .

Like a gallon of milk? Where is this date? On the sidewall somewhere? All Iā€™ve ever seen was the production date. Sorry but I just canā€™t see throwing away perfectly good money/tires every 3 years. But more power to you if you can.

I think you would be laughed out of court (because youā€™ll likely end up there) if your denial of coverage was based on a 3 year ā€œexpiration dateā€ with a still legal amount of tread left.

P.S. any relation to a couple others here?

2 Likes

Nonsense, really.

2 Likes

Fake news! Michelin says after 5 years from date of manufacture that you shall have tires inspected once a year. After 10 year you should replace them regardless of tread depth or appearance.

Are there actually any mainstream tire manufacturers that say you should discard tires at 3 years old? If so please provide a link with the information.

2 Likes

GoldMort is obviously not in the US. Things may be different where he is. Especially the part about being an assessor - which I think he means an insurance adjuster. I have never seen an insurance adjuster deny a claim because the tires were too old. Not saying it hasnā€™t happened. Just that it is rare.

3 Likes

True, but I canā€™t imagine anyone, anywhere, saying 3 year old tires should be discarded just because of age. That would be both unnecessary and wasteful.

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing Europe. I just checked the tires on 2 Toyotaā€™s, 1 Dodge, and 1 BMW. NONE have a ā€œuse by dateā€ anywhere on them.

1 Like