Tire chains for driving out to California from the midwest (2016 Mercedes E-250)

OK, I’ll say it out loud. Minnesota hit about 61 degrees today and according to my phone, California was 54. Even though a dollar higher than a year ago, gas is still a little over $3 not $5. Not to mention other restrictions. So are tires the biggest issue?

Well, Iowa, where winds are now howling, hit 73 this afternoon. People were out in shorts on this mid-December day.

The “chains” listed in the “Chains for Mercedes…” link are all “S-Type”, a low profile specification. I’d assume just about any S type would do, but always check ahead of time for clearance problems such as at the strut mounts, etc. The cheapest of the Ladder style listed in the link should give adequate traction for most conditions.

I have no experience with Snow Socks, but am concerned about their suitability for several reasons. 1) Several reviewers reported that they shredded or fell apart after little use. 2) The website says they’re not to be used on dry pavement, which might also include wet pavement. Caltrans frequently requires chains to be applied “early” while still on bare pavement but approaching an area or time when snow is expected (like in light snow flurries when pavement is basically dry or when climbing toward the snow line while still in rain). This occurs again after roads are cleared, and sometimes even dry, but they just haven’t gotten around to changing the signs - this can go on for miles. 3) How is their traction on wet pavement compared to that of a tire which has grooves to clear water (to prevent hydroplaning), and sipes and carefully compounded rubber for wet grip? The texture of the fabric might give good grip on show and ice, but plastic (synthetic fiber) is quite slippery and I can’t believe its traction will be nearly as good as that of a tire on the bare pavement Caltrans can require one to drive on for miles. Some chains are rated for the distance they can go on bare pavement before wearing out - for cables this can range from 70 to over 100mi. I didn’t see a bare pavement distance rating for snow socks, only the warning not do drive on it which isn’t reassuring.

Agreed, I also think that the tire socks are probably not going to last and I have to find snow chains. Thank you for your thoughts.

Years ago, I drove through an ice storm on Interstate 40 from the Texas boarder to Albuquerque, NM. Unusual experience, most of the time the Southwest is dry.

I traveled on Interstate 70 east to Denver during a snow storm during the month of March, won’t do that again.

Severe weather is not common in the Southwest, I don’t have chains. I have lived in the Southwest for more than 30 years and I expect to be able to drive to Bakersfield and farther without having to use the windshield wipers.

Albuquerque gets about 10" of snow a year, so it’s not common, but not unusual. The one winter we drove through there it snowed.

On the phone with some folks near LA, they had morning temps in the high 20s, Dallas at 72.

LA county 20 degrees not uncommon, LA city 20 degrees uncommon.

This was close, like Simi Valley, a couple of days ago.

The following appears to be available in my local store:

tire chains

but it claims to fit 245/45ZR17, does that also fit Bridgestone DriveGuard 245/45R17 99 W Tire? it looks like it should but strange that it does not include it explicitly.

Will this chain work?

The chains are listed by the size of tire they fit , not the brand .

1 Like

Correct, but does the letter ZR17 and R17 make a difference?

No, the Z describes the speed rating of the tire, the sizes are identical.

1 Like

Thanks! Hopefully, these chains will also fit the rear wheels of the 2016 Mercedes E250, they look pretty harmless and do not seem to require a lot of clearance.

Good idea to make sure you are able to successfully install the new chains on the tires in your driveway, before departing on your trip. It can be a little tricky. Figuring out which way and how far to turn the wheels (if front wheel drive) to make access easier is best done while not on the side of the road in a blinding blizzard. Also make sure the chains aren’t interfering with anything, particularly the brake lines.

1 Like

This has been such a learning experience for me! .
With everything you have learned here and the all advice given please let us what you ended up doing and how the trip went after you get back home.

3 Likes

Thanks, my tire socks came today. Unfortunately, I bought them online so they can not be returned. I got an appointment for installing the DriveGuards from a local chain store (Freedom Tire) tomorrow.

Sure will! Thanks for all the help and advice.

Without reading all 121 responses (so far), in case it hasn’t yet been mentioned, also check your owner’s manual for what type of chain is recommended. On my car I’m supposed to use the cable type instead of the actual chain type.

In any event, once you get some be sure to practice putting them on and taking them off. Make sure you have good gloves (it do get pretty cold when it’s snowing). For the record, we just had a good snow in the Sierras on I-80 and I-50. The news interviewed some people waiting it out (there were brief periods of white-out conditions and traffic was halted) and the wranglers at the chain up places are getting $150.00 to put on your chains for you.

Thank you. Btw, one question: so I get three new tires today, to supplement the one sort of new tire that has been on in the passenger rear wheel (between 1500 and 2000 miles on it). Should this tire be moved somewhere else, or will the shop know what to do?

The shop should know what to do . Ask them and if you don’t like their answer have them explain it to you .

Thank you, but what is the correct answer, so that I can know/tell them?