Timing:

when one does the timing, should one replace the tensioner, the tensioner stud and the idler? also the thermostat? in addition to the belts and the waterpump…

Depends on the vehicle…

If it’s a car like the Honda where the waterpump is ruj off the timingbelt then it’s a good idea to change it every time…

I’ve always changed the tensioner every OTHER time…

Thermostat might be a good idea if it’s right there…The belts definetly since you have to remove them anyways.

I also say it depends. Knowing what vehicle you are talking about makes a difference. If the timing belt change interval is around 60,000 miles, then I might change the tensioner every other time like the previous poster said. On the other hand if the change interval is about 90,000 or 105,000 miles, I would change the tensioner hardware every time.

I would change the water pump each time regardless of the miles. On some cars whose water pumps are not driven by the timing belt, I might still change it because of the general difficulty of getting to it.

i did forget to mention…it’s a camry…i got it used from my brother-in-law…since its used, i’m not sure when the last timing was done…theres a sticker on the timing cover and it notes that it was done @ 60,000 but not sure if it was done @ 120 and it already had 150 and the other belts looks cracked…so i’m assuming it hasnt been done…