Timing belt

timing chains have guide.do timing belt have guides.

A timing belt will use idler and tensioner pulleys instead of guides.

The timing chain “guide” serves a purpose beyond simply keeping the chain in line. As a chain or belt spins through its path, it tends to want to form a circle, like the loop in a lariat. The greater the mass, the greater the forces. Chains have enough mass to create undesirable lateral forces on the camshafts and crank as the chain tries to form a circle. The “guides” keep the chain in its desired travel path and reduce/eliminate the tendency of it to try to form a circle and laterally load the cam and crank sprockets.

With belts, the forces are far lower and the V-grooved pulleys and idler pulleys are sufficient to keep the belt in its desired path, and the forces aren’t great enough to cause excessive lateral forces on the crank and cams.

mountainbike

timing belts aren’t v-belts

A timing belt doesn’t use v-grooved pulleys

Oops! Yup, thanks for the correction.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I have to get my foot out of my mouth… }:stuck_out_tongue:

mountainbike

just keeping us on our toes

carry on!

LOL

No problem. Sometimes my brain takes a path of its own. I’d rather be corrected than leave erroneous information out there.

It’s like when you’re looking all over the house for something . . . and you’ve got it in your hand the whole time

Or you’re looking for your glasses . . . and you’re wearing them

“It’s like when you’re looking all over the house for something . . . and you’ve got it in your hand the whole time. Or you’re looking for your glasses . . . and you’re wearing them”

Neither of those has happened to me…yet.
However, what does happen at least once a week is that I will go down to the basement to retrieve something, and by the time I get down the stairs, I have already forgotten what I went down there to get!

Each time, I have to go back upstairs and retrace my earlier activity in order to figure out what it was that I wanted from the basement.

VDC, that happens to me all the time. I simply go blank.

I don’t think that it’s brain fade for the most part. Life can pile things up and it’s difficult to be a multi-tasker when you’re being tugged in 2 dozen directions at once… :slight_smile:

Naw. Thanks anyway, but it’s brain fade. {:stuck_out_tongue: