Timing belt

I took my 2003 Camry (2.4L engine) to my (trusted) mechanic for a new timing belt–the owner’s manual specifies 90,000 miles. But the mechanic told me it wasn’t needed until 110,000 and when I mentioned the manual, he pulled out a mechanics’ reference book and double checked, insisting it’s 110,000. What should I do? It seems counter-intuitive that he’d turn down a $400+ job!

It would probably go to 110,000 but I would NEVER GO LONGER THAN THE MANUAL! Honda increased the interval to over 100,000 miles a few years ago. But that was not retroactive for earlier models.

My neighbor’s belt on the VW Passat was to be changed at 60,000 and it failed at 55,000!

I’ve learned this from lurking here…(and reading my owner’s manual) The owner’s manual will list the miles and the time frame to use to determine when your timing belt should be changed. You’ve already passed the mileage and are probably at or near the time frame. At the rate you currently put miles on your Camry, you’ll be at 105,000 in another year.

Why wait and take chances?

It will very likely be cheaper now than it will be in 1 or more years and you won’t be risking the possibility of a much higher expense caused by a failing timing belt.

It’s hard to change something which isn’t there. The 2.4L 4 cylinder 2003 Camry doesn’t have a timing belt. But, if somebody can find one on it…
FYI: http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598

Ha!!

The owner’s manual is wrong and the mechanic is wrong.

That’s weird. I researched it and also found that the model in question has a timing chain.

Someone is pulling someone’s chain…belt…?.. : )

IF your engine has a timing belt ask the mechanic to cover any damages incurred between your present mileage and the 110,000 miles he claims to be the correct mileage for the change…

I would go ahead and get it replaced. My 2001 Chevy Metro has almost 91,000 miles on it and when I called a local mechanic on quote on how much it cost, he told me 100,000 miles but that applied in ideal conditions (flat roads, mild weather for most of the year). I live in an area where it snows during the winter and gets fairly warm during the summer and some not so flat or smooth roads. I researched timing belts and if they fail, the broken belt would cause major engine damage. I am getting mine replaced this week. I do not want to take any chances between now and when I reach 100,000 miles.

Thanks hellokit and Joe Guy–it hadn’t occurred to me that it might be a chain, but that’s what it seems to be. I think I know why the manual and mechanic were confusing, but won’t bore you with a long explanation. Thanks again.

Your car is 7 years old, if it does have a belt, then it needs changed regardless of the mileage. Your owner’s manual will say something like 90~110k miles OR 4~8 years, depending on the vehicle.

Nice catch hellokit… and that is undoubtedly why you have that “Top 20 Contributor” up there by your name :wink:

1. Remember there is a time and mileage recommendation. You go with whichever comes first.

2. It is possible that the manufacturer has changed the recommendation, either for all of the belts or maybe for a new redesigned belt.

Since you may be in the #2 issue, the mechanic may be looking at the data for the newer belts not the one you have.

You could try going to a local dealer and see what they say.

If you don’t get an good explanation, I would go for the lesser amount. The cost of going too long is just no worth trying.

Timing Belts . . . Flat Roads? Hills Must Really Put A Load On Valve Trains And Required Water Pump Torque, Eh? . . . What?
CSA

Im sorry, you totally lost me…??? You must be a mechanic or something. (;