Timing Belt Replacement

My 2001Honda Civic EX (manual) has only about 46,000 miles on the clock and runs very well. My mechanic says I should consider replacing the timing belt (the manual suggests after seven years). I plan on keeping the car for many more years – should I replace the belt now? How devastating is it if the belt breaks while driving?

Replace it. Your car has an interference engine, meaning that if/when the belt snaps the pistons smash the valves. Then the car becomes a large paperweight.

@mleich You are right! Timing belts deteriorate with age as well as use. They’re made of rubber. You are 5 years overdue now! It is part of the maintenance to keep your car running well into old age.

I’m in full agreement with everything said here. You should defeinitely get your timing belt changed.

Last week I replaced a timing belt that had 21,000 miles on it. It was the original belt on a 1991 Mazda Miata. It was the customer’s idea, and along with a timing belt he wanted a new water pump and timing belt tensioner. His idea was that although the belt only had 21,000 miles it was over 20 years old and rubber deteriorates with age.

You are overdue for timing belt replacement according to the people who built your car. Should the belt break while you are driving the engine will stop immediately and you also take the chance of doing internal engine damage, turning your $600 timing belt job into an $1800 cylinder head replacement. Have the belt replaced at your convenience rather than when you’re late for work.

Definitely. I have an '01 Ex and I had the dealer replace the timing belt last year at around 120K; it now has 146K. Its been a ver reliable, dependable car. I will buy another Honda and highly recommend it