Timing Belt Replacement Years or Miles?

I have a 2002 Honda CRV with 50,000 miles. The dealer had me change my timing belt on a Civic because it was 9 years old with only 50,000 miles. Before I do this on the CRV I was wondering what counts in terms of aging of the timing belt, time or rpms? Thanks for your help.

Alan

With a timing belt it is mileage OR time which ever comes first.

The answer to your question is within your question.

“I was wondering what counts in terms of aging of the timing belt, time or rpms?”

The passage of time is equal to the act of aging, Grasshopper.

I’m not sure how one would compute rpms, unless you equate rpms to miles traveled.

Changing a timing belt after a recommended period of time is exactly the same as waiting for a specific number of miles to be traveled.

When you are able to understand the above advice, it will be time for you to leave…

Right you are! RTM (Read The Manual)

But can you snatch the interference engine from my hand?

Is the owner’s manual not clear?

They’re both about even. Go too many years and it could break. Go too many miles and it could break. The cheapo pays the most.

This vehicle (2002 Honda CRV) has a timing chain, not a timing belt. So you do not need to change it.

Either or both, depending on your semantics. Too many miles or too long a time . . . either or both will allow a timing belt to fail . . . and if the CRV is an interference engine, you’ll have a very expensive repair o your hands. Do it now. Rocketman

It may be an interference engine, but it doesn’t have a belt to change.

Really? A chain on this engine? Rocketman

Years or miles ?

YES

Timing belts are buried within and cannot be ‘checked’ ( as a plain fan belt ) without sufficient expediture of time and money.
If you’re going to expend the effort, replace it.
When ?
At the recommended time OR mileage.
recommended ?
See YOUR owner’s manual for vehicle specific service intervals.

Yeah, it’s Honda’s K24 2.4L motor which has a timing chain. It’s commonly used in newer four cylinder Honda’s (Accords, CR-v’s, and Elements).

I also double-checked on the Gates website and confirmed that it is indeed a chain.

Ha! So, in this case, the answer to “years or miles” is “no!”

It is a 2001 sorry. I think it is a belt.
My question is why would a timing belt wear out just due to age if it is not being sed? Doesn’t it dependon the climatic conditions in which the car is stored?
A

It is a 2001 my wife informs me, sorry. Does this year have a belt? Also it seems to me that mileage is more of a factor than age. If your car is sitting in trh garage why woudl the timing belt wear out/
A

What is an interference engine?
A

In this case, yes the 2001 has a 2.0L engine which is an interference engine with a timing belt.

In the case of an interference engine if the timing belt fails the pistons will collide with the valves causing extensive damage to the engine (requiring several thousand dollars in repairs to fix). If it were a non-interference engine you’d only have to pay to replace the belt, but in your case you’re going to want to get it done ASAP to avoid those extra expenses.

Timing belts tend to dry out over time and this make them brittle and prone to failure, it’s impossible for any one of us to predict when that may happen but i’ve heard of them failing at many different ages, it definitely pays to be better safe then sorry in this case.

Shop around for a good price on replacement, it doesn’t have to be done by a dealer, any competent mechanic can perform this service and an independent will save you a boatload of money as well.

See my post higher up, I responded to your first reply and answered everything in one post.

Also see above reply of mine.