Timing Belt or Tining Chain?

Does a 2005 Honda Pilot 3.5 L engine use a timing belt or timing chain?

Timing belt.

Tester

2 Likes

Thanks, Tester

OK, here’s a puzzler. Who can name all 6 parts of that kit?

1 Timing belt 2 water pump 3 water pump seal 4 belt tensioner 5 idler pulley and pivot … kinda looks like 4 pushes on a portion of this and 6 another idler pulley

I was thinking 5 was the tensioner (b/c it looks somewhat like my Corolla’s tensioner) and 6 was just a replacement part for the pulley in 5. I also thought that maybe 6 was the camshaft or crankshaft seal. I wasn’t sure what 4 was. At first I thought 2 was a replacement timing belt cover, then decided a cover wouldn’t need that round thing, so it must be the water pump. I did get “1” correct though …lol …

Hydraulic tensioner.

They use oil pressure to force the tensioner puley against the timing belt.

Tester

I don’t think my Corolla has the hydraulic version. It’s some sort of spring loaded arrangement.

I’m just very, very glad my wife’s '85 Toyota Corolla LE, 1.6, engine is a “non-interference” engine. Years, decades ago, I had the timing belt replaced at 60k miles as specified by Toyota. I always ask for the parts back (no guarantee, but…). At about 75k the “new” timing belt broke. Dealer replaced it for free.

Yeah, I’m sure glad it’s a non-interference engine or it would have eaten some valves and pistons and I bet the dealer would not have been so generous…

As I’ve written before, she still has that '85, it now has 220k on the odometer. And we still go to the same dealer. And the car came with “Life-Time” State Inspections and Oil Changes and we have not had to pay for a quart of oil for her Toy; ever, and She (the car…) is due for her yearly state inspection next month and it will be free, again…

Does the '85 have an automatic or manual xmission? How many times, if any, have you replaced the rear brake shoes?

The '85 is the LE Model and has an Automatic and the engine is the 4AC, 1,600cc with a two barrel. Everything works on her except the Radio (it was the premium sound system) that has an internal short. The radio will “POP” and turn On at the lowest FM station setting 88.1. You can reset the channels but it will then POP again and turn Off, and when it POPs back on, it’s back on 88.1 (I’ve disconnected it). The Trip Meter of the Odometer also stopped working decades ago. Speedometer and Odometer work perfectly.

I’ve replaced the brakes (I always do front and back together) at about 70k (lifetime NAPA), then again at 150k (under NAPA Lifetime guarantee) also did the Master Cylinder at that time too, then again at 200k (NAPA said this was the last time and this set did not come with any guarantee…), Replaced the water pump at about 150k, the Steering rack at 175k, the Alternator at 170k (and a week later, and again that afternoon – Autozone), the Timing belt at 60k, 75k, 125k, and 175k. Converted the AC from R12 to R134 at 200k, lower ball joints at 180k, the struts at 100k, and 160k. The Radiator at 190k. The Transmission flushed with new fluid at 120k and again at 200k. The starter at 210k.

She has been a pretty good car over the years and she my wife’s “baby” as it was her first new car and my wife has no intention of ever getting rid of her and even if the engine or transmission goes, she’ll be repaired and not sold or scrapped.

1 Like

I have a 92 Corolla, similar to yours except mine has the 4AFE engine (1.6L fuel injected), about 200K miles. The reason I asked about your brake’s longevity, one poster here was somewhat in disbelief of my claim that the rear shoes lasted 200 K miles. There’s other’s here though who say their rear shoes lasted longer than that, 250k+ and still going. I’m guessing when you replaced your rear shoes there was plenty of life left in them. I’m on my first repayment set of front pads IIRC. I checked them when I replaced the rear shoes not too long ago, plenty of wear left. My repair history seems quite similar to yours; however one difference I find surprising is you’ve never had to replace the starter motor. I’ve had to replace that part 3 or 4 times.

Yeah, I had to replace the starter, but only once but it was only within the last year. The original lasted over 35-years.

As for the brakes, on at least one of those changes, it was because a rear wheel cylinder was leaking, so I changed out both rear wheel brake cylinders and rebuilt the front disk calipers and since I was doing that, I swapped out all pads and shoes. As my wife said, “My baby gots new shoes…”

I can believe that there are real true stories of outrageous mileage on brake shoes. Especially if you have a lot of highway miles. One time while driving cross-country, I drove for over 400-miles on an interstate, on cruise and never touch the brakes once. My son once was living in Mason, MI. and working in Detroit and driving almost 100-miles one way on interstate 6-days a week, about 1,200-miles a week. He wore that car out, but I bet the brakes were still in good shape…

You can Google Victor Sheppard who owned a 2007 Toyota Tundra, and he racked up over 1 million miles in just 9 years on the original engine and transmission. Quite an impressive feat for such a short amount of time. He’s the original owner and he used the Tundra to travel across the country more than 100,000 miles per year to transport heavy equipment for his job. Toyota celebrated this by taking in his old Tundra to tear it down and examine it, whilst giving him a brand new Tundra.

Has wifey ever driven a newer car? For giggles?

Yes, and for Giggles, the story is somewhat funny…

The Wife has driven and even has a newer car (or two…). First off, we have 5 vehicles, she has her '85 Toyota Corolla LE (that she bought New…), I have a 2001 Dodge Ram, 2500, Diesel, 4x4, “Shortbread Quad Cab” (SLT Laramie package) with every Bell and Whistle except the Snow Plow Package (I bought it New in Tucson, AZ), and I have an '84 Harley Davidson Ironhead Sportster (1000cc); all three of these bought new.

Now, I need to elaborate a bit on the previous posting. I wrote that the A/C was converted to R134 Freon. It was done when the A/C compressor gave up the ghost and the dealership had to keep the car for like two-weeks as they tried to install three different Compressors. The 37-year after-market is not always a proper fit. We really like the A/C now so my wife decided to buy a “spare A/C Compressor…”

The Spare A/C Compressor came in a new 2019 Toyota Corolla SE Hatchback, but as it turned out, she did not like that Toyota. The Blind Spot on the Passenger side is huge and backing up is difficult as the headrests block everything else. The backup camera is only so much help, but it is a fun car to drive, it gets great gas mileage and it has plenty of power to get out of its own way… So, she now considers that “My” car because it gets better mileage than the Ram and it’s dryer than the Harley…

Then, a year later, the starter on the '85 died and it was much the same story as the dealership struggled to get a starter for the '85. Now you might think that the dealership just did not care to put much effort into this but we have a very good relationship with the dealership, the service writers, and the mechanics.

I’ve written about this previously, when you have a good mechanic it’s like having Gold and even when we do not have an appointment for service, we have often dropped by with Donuts, Breakfast Burritos, or Egg Mcmuffins and such… We know all the folks and when they’ve shared personal info (kids, birthdays, marriages, etc), we’ve written it down and make a point to ask about it.

And as a final point, when the '85 is kept overnight, or even for a week or more, they do not push it outside , but keep it in the shop at night.

They’ve joked with us that she (the '85) has a private stall… remember, I wrote it came with Free Lifetime Inspections and Oil Changes. It’s had 37 Free State Inspections and over 70 Free oil Changes…

Now that I’ve made a Short Story Long… I’ll finish…

As I wrote, the starter died and the dealership had problems getting a new one. So, once again, my wife decides that we need a spare, but a starter this time for her '85…

Since she was not happy at all with the Toyota hatchback and it’s blind spots, she tries out a 2020 Honda Fit because it also small like her '85, but it has a passenger side blind spot camera… So now she has “sort of” driven a newer car, or two…

And the backup camera on the Fit has three settings, Normal, Wide Angle, and Look Down (so you can see the curb as you back up). Plus as you turn while backing, the image looks in the direction you are turning as you back up.

So, now “Giggling…” We have five vehicles, and not to put too fine a point on this, the only people who are laughing now are the dealerships and our insurance agent…

1 Like

Again…

A guy I worked with, when he said “to make a long story short” we knew he would add in a lot of irrelevant material.

1 Like