Timing Belt Damage to 2003 Hyundai Elantra

My stepdad’s nephew, Doug, owns an auto repair shop. I asked him for an estimate to replace the timing belt and spark plugs. He told me $489. I asked him why it was so high,and he explained that he always estimates on the high side in case they run into a problem and it takes longer than the usual 3 hours. I dropped the car off, and when I went to pick it up was told that there had been an accident. Apparently, the belt had been installed improperly and then they started the engine, causing major damage. Doug said he would take care of everything at no charge and that he would get me a rental or give me his old, beat-up Explorer (with windows that didn’t work) to drive for a week while my car remained in the shop. I took his Explorer and ended up having to pay $84 more in gas than I would have had to pay had I had my Elantra.

When I received the bill, the total was $518.16 for a timing belt, spark plugs, and serp belt. Labor came in at $375 (5 hrs!) The damaged items that he replaced at N/C were R/I head gasket, complete valve job, therostat and gaskets, fill with fresh antifreeze.

My question is, does this bill sound fair? I reminded him of the original estimate. Since when does it take five hours to replace a timing and serp belt? I also explained that I intended to deduct the $84 for the extra gas I had to pay. He got angry at that point and said if I were going to deduct $84 from the bill, he would not go a penny lower and dared me to find someone else who would/could do it cheaper.

I would appreciate anyone’s input on this situation. Thanks.

What happened here is that the timing was not properly set when the new belt was installed. Since this car has an interference engine, the pistons smashed into the valves when they tried to start the car the first time. That’s why the valve job was performed, and it took five hours because they had to remove the cylinder head to make the necessary repairs.

All in all, you got a great price. $518 for all of that work is really, really good. The original estimate, $489, is actually lower than you’ll typically find. It can easily run over $600 depending on where you go.

Take a deep breath, relax, you got a very fair price. On top of that, the shop made a mistake, admitted it, and basically repaired all the damage for free. I’d keep going back to these guys.

i got an estimate for changing my timing belt and it was 600.

the fact that the shop is making good, and gave you a loaner is pretty fair. yeah, they could have given you a cadilac, but hey, the price you got is really cheap.

i would only question the original estimate. why are you paying a different price? if he ius gogin to ‘make it good’ then it should be at the original price. or is the difference tax???

all in all you got a great price, either way.

Christ! Stuff happens! Consider poor Doug. He LOST big on this job. You made out ok. Be thankful. [Do you appreciate my input?]

I’d be leery of using a shop that “always estimates on the high side in case they run into a problem.” Usually a shop will use a labor guide that determines the average time for a repair and multiply it by their hourly rate. If they “run into a problem,” they should call you and explain what happened. The shop damaged your car and did make good, but will you have any issues in the future because of their negligence. I wouldn’t use a shop that made a mistake that damaged my engine. It might not be as upsetting if they underinflated my tires…but toasting your engine isn’t a minor issue.

Since the $489 was, in his opinion, “a little high,” then you might have overpaid a little based on just the timing belt and spark plugs. But you got a few other things at no or little cost. I wouldn’t make an issue of the fuel cost. If you talk to him again and he dares you to find someone who could do it cheaper - tell him you weren’t looking for a cheap mechanic…you were looking for a competent one.

Doug lost his shirt on this job, and you’re complaining about a few bucks.

If it were me, I’d go back to Doug, pay him what he was asking for, and express my appreciation for his due-diligence for ‘making good’ on the situation.

“Doug lost his shirt” because he screwed up and ruined that engine.

Sheesh, gimme a break! Is it worth a couple hundred bucks to be forever known as the crotchety, cheapskate in the family?

Show me any experienced skilled mechanic, and I guarantee you they’ve made and learned from a ton of mistakes in their life.

You don’t become a good mechanic without going through your share of “learning” experiences along the way.

I’m usually one of the first ones to jump down on a mechanic or dealer in this forum…But in this case…sounds like Doug did the right thing. $500 for a timing belt and sparkplugs and serpentine belt is a pretty good price.

Lets look at the facts.

. He gave you a fair price for the work you wanted done.
. A mistake was made (EVERYONE makes mistakes).
. He admitted his mistake and took care of it at HIS COST.
. He gave you a loaner FREE while he fixed his mistake.

And you’re complaining???

Where is this guy?? Sounds like a good mechanic to me…

I will only add one thing to what most others have said about Doug, who has done the right thing and is losing money on this deal.

Why in the world does a mechanic not rotate the engine through by hand a few times and recheck the timing marks before jumping in and hitting the key. This extra few minutes could save a lot of grief on both sides of the service counter.

Moral of the story: Don’t buy a car with a cam timing belt.

If it’s an interference engine …I prefer a timing belt.

Ok - now I get it. Doug is known to a lot of posters here…AND it’s a family issue. All of you know what’s going on - but the rest of us don’t.

“Show me any experienced skilled mechanic, and I guarantee you they’ve made and learned from a ton of mistakes in their life…You don’t become a good mechanic without going through your share of “learning” experiences along the way.”

Absolutely true. But as a customer, I don’t expect to pay for the mechanic’s mistakes, or to pay his training costs.

“Why in the world does a mechanic not rotate the engine through by hand a few times and recheck the timing marks before jumping in and hitting the key. This extra few minutes could save a lot of grief on both sides of the service counter.”

A voice of experience. Basic, fundamental issues of car repair (and many other life issues) - check your work! Anybody get the feeling that a lot of the answers posted that sypmathize with “Doug” might have had different answers if the mechanic was a total stranger?

Absolutely true. But as a customer, I don’t expect to pay for the mechanic’s mistakes, or to pay his training costs.

And you DIDN’T. He only charged you $518. All the work he did would have cost you well over $2000. Am I missing something?? Did he NOT charge you $518…but actually charged you $2500??? $518 is a very fair price for timing belt, spark plugs, and serpentine belt.

Please explain!!!

The only unclear issue is how much the total bill was.

nowhere in the OP does it say he paid more than the original estimate (or more than 25 bucks more)

he didn’t have to pay for the mechanics mistakes. he paid the original estimate. he seems to be bent about the 84 bucks extra in gas he had to spend for a suv for the loaner car. even then, he was given the choice of a rental or the loaner suv (and PICKED the suv!)

if that is what the problem is, then everything else is just a rant.

the mechanic stood by his work, and even gave him a loaner.

what more would YOU want from a mechanic?

if (as it appears from the OP) the bill was indeed $518.16; do you think you could find anyone to do a timing belt for less? I doubt it. nevermind that the mechanic botched the job, and then repaired it for free (as he should have)

know doug??? doug who? do any people who frequent this board really know each other? (aside from frequent posts on here)

I seriously doubt it!

no one makes money off this forum.

no one benefits from this advice, other than the people who come here looking for some independent, alternate point of view concerning auto repair. (well, sometimes a little political rant or two!!!)

I “paid” by the monumental inconvenience I incurred as a result of his incompetence - or that of his employees. I may also “pay” in the future - if the work he did to repair his mistake was as good as the work he did on the timing belt. $518 is a reasonable cost for timing belt, spark plugs and serpentine belt. But I’m still not getting how I should be grateful to someone who screwed up bigtime on my car, and had to fix his mistake. I’m not a charity I’m a paying customer. The only thing it seems he’s given the OP is a royal pain the the ass.

. He gave you a fair price for the work you wanted done. ( OF COURSE ! )

. A mistake was made (EVERYONE makes mistakes). [ THAT MAKES IT OK…HEY THE GUY’S ONLY HUMAN ]

. He admitted his mistake and took care of it at HIS COST.
( Good point. Most mechanics would expect YOU to pay for the repair after they ruined your engine. )

. He gave you a loaner FREE while he fixed his mistake.
( See above. Most mechanics/dealerships would expect you to walk to work in this instance. )

And you’re complaining??? ( ARE YA NUTS! )

Where is this guy?? Sounds like a good mechanic to me…
( Me too! I’m going to relocate just so he can be MY mechanic [ right after I sip this cold glass of Kool-aid ]

CharPA (nee pasteno),
You POOR, POOR, POOR thing!!! OH, you POOR, POOR, thing!!! My gosh, you have been SO inconvenienced!! So unappreciated!! So, oh, just so, you know, put upon by God and everybody!!! Alas! Alas! Is there no JUSTICE?!!