Time for change

Bing 3:12PM Sheesh. The future? Even my lawn mower has reverse and doesn't smoke like that one. When I was a kid the neighbor kids Dad made him a replica 58 Plymouth. It was about that size but powered with a Maytag washing machine engine. Not sure what the MPG was on it. Putt putt putt.

In 1962, emission standards were not very strict and the Peel 50 had a 49cc two stroke engine in it, furthermore, being a three wheeler legally makes it a motorcycle with motorcycle emission rules. Even scooters and mopeds are going four stroke today.

@db4690
If you couldn’t see it in the video, it’s Top Gear. And you could see the “BBC” building he got out at. And the BBC News 24 program where he’s driving in the background or the piece of paper that said BBC staff meeting.
Pretty much a dead giveaway that it’s British

The car in question was sold on the Isle of Man, an island with a total area of 221 square miles. It’s perfect for the driving environment.

I am looking forward to the hydrogen cars, If I remember correctly I can make hydrogen with a battery and salt water, I never understood how they say all the water that ever existed exists now, so appreciating a brainic response as if I create hydrogen by this method, as far as I see the water no longer exists.

So I am thinking I can make my own hydrogen via solar or one of my other ideas for electricity under patent review. Now I have to figure out how to compress it after capturing hydrogen.

No worse than we all had before absolutely everyone had to have braces and perfect choppers…and we all chain smoked. I commend the brits for not being so vain.
Besides…does the average brit have dental insurance?

This is a quote from “Hybrid and alternative fuel vehicles” . . . copyright date 2008, so it slightly predates the Chevy Volt

“In a series hybrid, sole propulsion is by electric motor, but the electric energy comes from another on-board energy source, such as an internal combustion engine.”

This sounds an awful lot like the Chevy Volt . . . my point being that the Chevy Volt isn’t a true EV, even if GM managed to get it classified as one

In this news article, it’s called a plug-in hybrid

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Chevrolet_Volt/

In this q&a, GM itself calls it a series hybrid vehicle

So that means it’s a hybrid, not an EV

Call it either a plug in hybrid or a series hybrid

As I said, it was a brilliant marketing scheme to get it classified as an EV

Introducing a new EV sounds more exciting than introducing yet another hybrid

LOL

GM is LYING if they called it an EV or even a series hybrid. When the “Voltman” was doing a thread, touting the advantages of the so called EV Volt with a range extender ( series hybrid) even he had to admit ( at least I think he did) that it was justa plug in, parallel hybrid, no different then a plug in Prius that at times ran with power for the wheels coming both from the gas motor and the electric motor. Gas motor parallel hybrids are just more efficient then series.

As cool a car as the Volt is, it’s just a better handling parallel Hybrid with a bigger battery then a Prius…no more, no less. Just like the Prius, it runs in one of three modes, depending upon the computer. So I guess GM can disquise thier lie by just picking one of them.

@Barkydog -" I never understood how they say all the water that ever existed exists now, so appreciating a brainic response as if I create hydrogen by this method, as far as I see the water no longer exists."

Well, ‘they’ are wrong. The amount of hydrogen in the universe is slowly decreasing (as stars age), and the amount of oxygen is slowly increasing (ditto). So the amount of water isn’t fixed on the large scale, and certainly isn’t fixed on the small scale (our bodies) as it takes part in chemical reactions.

As for using hydrogen for cars, why not just use the electricity directly? Only if there’s some other way of making hydrogen VERY efficiently might it become worthwhile.

I can just see Volt drivers patting themselves on the back, because it’s officially an EV, and therefore supposedly “greener” than a Prius

LOL

Well, the ‘ranking’ might go gas vehicle - plain hybrid - plug in hybrid - full EV.
So a Volt a step above a Prius, a step below a Leaf.

By that scale, of course. From what I’ve read, a plain hybrid is best (today) to maximize benefits per dollar.

Barkydog Junior Grease Monkey

6:17PM edited 6:18PM

I am looking forward to the hydrogen cars, If I remember correctly I can make hydrogen with a battery and salt water, I never understood how they say all the water that ever existed exists now, so appreciating a brainic response as if I create hydrogen by this method, as far as I see the water no longer exists.

That hydrogen turns right back into water when the fuel cell uses it to power a car. We’re not going to use up all our water making hydrogen anytime soon. It’s a closed loop.

Every time we burn gasoline, we create water that didn’t previously exist. CO2 isn’t the only combustion byproduct that comes out of the exhaust.

@db4690:
Yeah, I think a lot of modern-day “environmentalism” is a way for upper-middle class folks to maximize their feelings of smug self-riteousness. I mean, “save the earth! Buy a new car!” is your rallying cry? Seroiusly?!?

I mean, how many people mumble “reduce, reuse, recycle!” Now, how many of 'em have actually been to a scrap yard?

Q.E.D.

The environmentalists conveniently forget that those wind farms are killing the bald eagle

It’s only the national bird, for pity’s sake

does the average brit have dental insurance?

No they have socialized health care but not dental as far as I know. That’s a whold nuther thread.

@Db.the Bald Eagle(PIE-Bald Eagle actually) is on the increase around here,we have a good many now,but dont be fooled these birds are not the noble creatures they are portrayed to be, scavanger supreme all the other birds politely step aside when the Eagle comes to feast at the carcass(perfect symbol for the right)Ben Franklins suggestion actually made a lot of sense(Wild Turkey).
Dont worry burn all the H2 you want,it simply forms water when combusted,theres plenty to go around for this purpose(though not particularily efficent). While the space shuttle used a lot of H2,we basically went to the moon on diesel fuel-Kevin

AND in recent news…
A guy plugged in his electric car while at an event…something every single owner should be able to do anywhere, anytime…and got hauled off to jail for theft of power !

The overall public attitude must change for them to be feasable.
RANGE is in fact the main issue and if we can’t be allowed to plug in anywhere, anytime then THERE’S a major flaw right there.

@kengreen

Why should EV drivers be able to plug in for free, when us regular guys with IE have to pay for our fuel all time time? We don’t get free fuel when we park somewhere.

I wouldn’t have thrown that guy in the slammer, either. The use of public resources is more valuable than the energy he “stole”

LOL

@kmccune

I’m well aware that the Bald Eagle isn’t some kind of “noble” creature. The lion . . . aka king of the jungle . . . is also a pretty effective scavenger. The other guys take off when he shows up, because he’s bigger

LOL

“Yeah, I think a lot of modern-day “environmentalism” is a way for upper-middle class folks to maximize their feelings of smug self-riteousness”

Most the upper middle class are not going green, in my experience. I cannot believe there are that many stupid eagles, unfortunate, though my neighbors up north were glad when the eagles left, as there was a constant reign of body parts and debris from the nest. I was working on the beach and heard sounds like a critter getting killed and noises like someone was going through the cabin with a breaker bar, I look up and the eagle is perched on my roof, hope the talons do not cause a roof leak, and the bird swoopes off the roof, I ducked knowing my flesh is no match for razor sharp talons, you do not realize how big a 6 foot wingspan is until it is 1 5 foot over your head. Yes we got tired of the youngster calling all day long, but love having eagles back, now wishing to hear the BobWhite in the night time.

@db4690 6:22PM @kmccune

I’m well aware that the Bald Eagle isn’t some kind of “noble” creature. The lion . . . aka king of the jungle . . . is also a pretty effective scavenger. The other guys take off when he shows up, because he’s bigger

LOL

King of the Jungle? Lions live on the African Savannah which is sort of like the American Great Plains.