TIL There are 2 states that still do not require Auto Insurance

If you don’t want to pay for insurance don’t. No one is going to stop you, uninsured drivers are common everywhere from what I’m gathering. Nothing seems to happen to them. These clowns around here drive without insurance, get a DUI, get arrested and cited, and are back out driving next week.

If you cause damage and someone sues you, then you can say “I owe that” like the Nicki Minaj tune.

Starships by Nicki Minaj

I changed a few words because she has a filthy mouth, this is the attitude most people have now, I call it an alcoholic attitude. They have money for their priorities and that does not include being law abiding.

It IS a catchy tune though; I often will turn it on and then drive like a maniac just like everyone else does around here. Do you think people who think like the lyrics in the song give a rip about having insurance?

Let’s go to the beach, each, let’s go get a wave
They say, what they gonna say?
Have a drink, clink, found the Bud Light
Bad ladies like me, is hard to come by

The Patrón, own, let’s go get it on
The zone, own, yes I’m in the zone
Is it two, three? Leave a good tip
I’ma blow all my money and don’t give two rips

I’m on the floor, floor
I love to dance
So give me more, more
'Til I can’t stand
Get on the floor, floor
Like it’s your last chance
If you want more, more
Then here I am

Jump in my hoopty-hoopty-hoop, I own that
And I ain’t paying my rent this month, I owe that
But what who you want, and what who you like
That’s our life, there’s no end in sight

I don’t know about other states, but in my state, it’s much cheaper to just buy minimal insurance coverage, rather than risk driving w/o insurance. Obviously, not everyone is caught, but those who are caught pay a stiff penalty:

https://www.bankrate.com/insurance/car/new-jersey-driving-without-insurance/#:~:text=For%20a%20first%20offense%2C%20drivers,license%20reinstatement%20fee%20of%20%24100.

Yup do what you feel like no consequences. Relates to some of the current hoopla.

1 Like

You can’t register your car in Maryland without proof of auto insurance. If you let your insurance lapse your insurer will alert the state and the state will take action to get you insured or penalize you in up to seven ways in addition to possible court action. Is that serious enough for you?

1 Like

Don’t register the car, put a plate on from another car or steal a plate. Thats what they do here.

Honestly is Maryland that good about pulling people over? I watch the 12 O’Clock boys on youtube, they ride ATVs in Baltimore, it looks like a free for all.

Indianapolis has become a free for all.

OK , we know you are unhappy about a lot of things but there is not anyone here that can solve those problems for you . You should have places or people locally to voice your complaints . All places have people who just will not do what they should but I doubt if it is as wide spread as you think . Let it go .

3 Likes

Yes they are. Instead of having annual safety inspections state and local police pull drivers over for any violation, like a burned out bulb. They check your drivers license and registration, then check to see if there are any open warrants for your arrest while you sit there. Serious enough for you?

1 Like

Unheard of, well actually common here.

Sunday a driver crashed into a police car, no driver’s license, no registration, no insurance, 2nd DUI. With his driving record he can’t afford car insurance but after he is released he will drive again.

In Maryland he would not have been released without bail.
Crashing into a police car, good luck making bail, 6 months in the Pen (Hell on Earth) until your trial comes up and then…

In Maryland we have no patience for fools that endanger the the public safety, whether from criminal activity or bogus “Constitutional” prinicpals.

1 Like

They don’t bother changing plates here, they just take the whole car.

In Illinois they have started to suspend vehicle registrations for vehicles that don’t have insurance. This program was completely funded by the insurance industry and has cost the State of Illinois nothing. Notice I said insurace, not liability insurance. You can put comprehensive insurance on the vehicle not have to worry about your license being suspended.

Now that’s a load of steaming crap.The following is directly from Illinois state gov. You should really due a little research before spouting your B.S. only took me about 10 seconds to find this. But I know, why waste a whole 10 seconds to get something right for a change. But we all know you won’t be hindered or swayed by actual FACTS.

https://www.ilsos.gov/publications/pdf_publications/vsd361.pdf

“COMPLYING WITH THE LAW
Illinois law requires all motor vehicles registered and operated in Illinois to be covered by liability insurance, which covers property damage and/or injuries you may cause others in an accident. (Trailers are not required to have liability insurance.) You are in compliance with the law if you have liability insurance in the following minimum amounts:

• $25,000 for injury or death of one person in an accident.
  • $50,000 for injury or death of more than one per- son in an accident.
    -$20,000 for damage to property of another person.

You must carry your insurance card in your vehicle and show it upon request by any law enforcement officer. Your insurance company should send you an insurance card, usually when your policy is issued or renewed.”

Please STOP deceiving people with your completely false statements before someone takes them as fact and gets hurt, either physically, emotionally or financially.

@cdaquila isn’t there anything about spouting blatant misinformation in the “CoC” if not there should be.

4 Likes

How many times are people going to correct the Snowmans false posts before the people who run this Forum do something.
Asking this of @Managing-Editor-Julie

2 Likes

And if I were to say “people, don’t listen to this putz”, I’d be the one to get flagged.

3 Likes

But somehow not being required to have vehicle liability insurance at all is fine, at least in these two states. No insurance? Fine. Some cheap insurance that doesn’t cover much? Illegal. $90 per month insurance that covers most everything? Fine.

What PvtPublic wrote in response to what I wrote about Illinois suspending license plates of uninsured vehicles has nothing to do with what I wrote about. Here is the video where I got the information from if anyone is interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVAEIcd4oc8 After watching the video again I realize that it doesn’t address the issue of what kind of insurance is required to not have the plates suspended. My insurance card doesn’t even say what type of insurance I have.

@PvtPublic @VOLVO-V70 Neither @GorehamJ nor I have blocked @TheWonderful90s. I have said it before, but there are a good number of people interacting with him. The content is generally on topic, and I’ve never been able to reconcile banning someone for essentially being wrong. There are a couple of people here who are quite active who give what is often called wrong information. Do I ban them? What is the line between disinformation (which is a conscious attempt at circulating wrong information) and being poorly informed? Objectively speaking, he gets conversations going. They’re not fighting. Have I wondered if provocation is the point of being here? Yes.

I am interested, though, in hearing how you would develop an addition to community guidelines that could fairly address that.

1 Like

Very few people post as much wrong info and just plain nonsense as The 90’s . Also it is just not a few that complain about him . Carolyn , you have Thor’s Hammer which can override guidelines .

1 Like

So get this, in the State of Michigan, 25% of all drivers are uninsured! I knew the number of uninsured drivers was high there, I had no idea how high. Only Mississippi has a higher percentage of uninsured motorists on the road at 29.4%

This is part of the reason why Michigan has the 4th highest insurance rates in the country I believe. That along with it being a “no fault” state.

2 Likes

lol … That would work in my prior state of Colorado, as long as you never got pulled over for a traffic violation or burned out light bulb etc. In other words as long as there was no probable cause to pull you over. But in my area you can very easily get stopped and required to provide documents simply b/c you are driving on the road. For some reason there’s no need for probable cause in this area.

If another poster believes a poster’s content to be incorrect, they can always offer proof of its incorrectness. Posting what some may believe to be incorrect content (as long as it is Car Talk related) isn’t a reason to have a post deleted imo. It’s self-correcting, post incorrect info, someone here will prove it to be incorrect. For example, when Ray claimed “You can’t do it unless the number is two!” … That wasn’t deleted from the podcasts. Caller’s later simply pointed out it wasn’t accurate.

IMO the sort of posts which might be deleted by the moderator are the sort you’d avoid at a polite dinner party to which you were invited. Divisive, one-sided political opinions and claims, religious topics, etc. The sort of content you would never hear on a Car Talk podcast.

These sorts of issues cannot always be determined using the principles of logic. Mathematician Godel already proved this, I believe it is called the “completeness theorem”. Given that logic may not be able to ever resolve these sorts of problems, sometimes not so much fun being a forum moderator, eh? … lol … Folks here need to consider the feelings of the forum moderator as well.

1 Like