This Subaru is hot, Really HOT!

I translate this as: “Our system is actually useless.”

;-]

following mid-sized fancy Mercedes recently: his yellow LED indicating blind-zone was missing something like 30% of cars entering there, so I deduced for myself it IS pretty much useless, moreover, I would consider it to be an additional danger, as people tend to rely on these sensors

OK. You win. The hell with common sense. I now nominate you the official Subaru manual quotation Nazi. I hope they send you a medal.

Re: Blind Spot Assist, Mercedes says, “Motorcycles may be detected late or not at all.”

Hoo-boy…

That gives me all the confidence in the world of nothing, That is a really bad thing. Keep looking in my right rear view mirror making a right hand turn for bicyclists or motorized bicycles or skateboarders, probably misses them also until you hit one :persevere:
Do you get an OOPS, I’ll dial 911 from the car?

It is a basic radar system that sometimes can’t differentiate between a wall, guard rail or vehicle. Other vehicles have the same weakness, there is a long list of “may not detect”.

From my experiences of road testing after repair I have not had a failure to warn occur but it is not 100% effective so the driver must still look out the window.

I have the same car and don’t have any of those problems. I also belong to a couple of Subaru and have never heard of the temp problem. The ac and heat in my car works perfectly.

Wow! What a great discussion. I find you all make good points. Personally, I’m not looking for the Outback to drive itself, I just wish some of it’s features worked better to assist me in avoiding problems. The BSM could certainly be better. It twice failed to detect a car in my blind spot. It definitely works worse than the BSM on my previous Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. However, both times I avoided problems by using my eyes (and an insistent horn from my new neighbor). The problem is compounded because I can’t adjust the driver’s side mirror to help cover the blind spot. Thanks to “Barkydog” I have now ordered a supplemental mirror that should help visibility. It’s sad that features so basic as mirrors and BSM function so poorly on a 2017 Outback. As for Subaru’s consistent legal disclaimers (if you think BSM is bad read the new Starlink and EyeSight disclaimers), I think it’s sad that their lawyers have taken control. I was also considering a Highlander when I bought the Outback. Toyota also has some disclaimers, but no where as bad as Subaru.

I’m really glad you don’t have these problems, steveng. It encourages me to know that I can probably get them fixed on my car. Both the heating and air conditioning work well, my only problem is that it won’t take the temp to the setting (it goes 8 to 10 degrees over on heat). Regarding BSM, I have the driver’s seat moved back rather far on my Outback. At that position I can still see the side of my car in the driver’s side mirror (or if I move it to the other extreme, I could shave with it). Do you feel you have adequate blind spot coverage on your Outback’s mirror? The tech at the dealer checked three other new Outbacks and their mirrors were the same as mine. Also, since my BSM has failed to detect cars in the blind spot twice (but checked out okay by the dealer), you may want to be cautious about trusting the BSM. Good luck with your Outback. It has a lot of nice features.

My blind spot monitor works fine. I have never had a problem where I’t didn’t detect other cars.

Thanks. That’s good news.

It amazes me that a manufacturer would go back so much, I have to think this is a defect of some sort. My 2015 Legacy has none of these issues, except perhaps for disclaimers that the eyesight system isn’t perfect and you should still do your best to avoid accidents (no duh).

Hey, people are stupid, and I also would not want legal liability for a feature that will reduce but not prevent all accidents, just because people thought it would take over for them. Honestly I am on the fence about whether it would be better to have none of this till full self driving cars, but then you’re withholding a percentage safety protection from “good drivers” because there are “bad / stupid drivers” who would misuse the feature. The disclaimers are there to inform detail oriented people how good the feature actually is, and to protect the company in court.

dont feel bad my lady friend in VT just purchased a new subaru impreza . well after a week of it she could not get use to the controls so she upgraded to a out back and she is happy now however she dont know what half the controls do for the car , now my personal opinion of those subaru Boxer engine turn s me off did you ever look at an exploded view of one , it has very thin bicycle chains for timing the valves which are also variable timed valves . more to go wrong.

Trading that soon just because she couldn’t adapt to controls ( expensive ) and now driving around not knowing what all the controls do. I won’t say "stupid " but it is something that could possibly cause an accident.

**I am sue she knows the basic driving controls signals,ect to drive but the radio settings back up camera , little things she will have to get used to . **

There are a lot of detailed features and adjustments on the Outback. It takes a lot of effort to explore it. There’s lots of alarms (with on/off and volume controls), lighting and indicator adjustments for brightness and timing, door lock adjustments, rear gate adjustments, etc. not to mention the steering responsive fog lights, high beam assist, menu screen display, navigation, radio, and adaptive cruise control adjustments. My dealer has a technician individually discuss the basic systems with new customers for over an hour. And he didn’t get into the detailed settings options.

All that ajusting would drive me nuts. however what I did do with a pathfinder I purchased , I set everything in default mode that I could possibly do and then totally shut off the automatic driver seat settings, because the first time I turned it on I pushed the setting for another driver and the seat pushed my chest into the steering wheel and almost crushed me so I luckily hit the 2nd button to reverse it then totally shut it off so it stays just for one drive nobody gets hurt. Did you ever wonder with these cars that now stop themselves with a front sensor when a pedestrian or car jutz in front of it - well what if you were on the parkway and some kids went by and threw a big paper bag out the window and it went just in front of your car ,Would it stop dead in the middle of all the other fast moving cars ? Hmmmm

I just bought a 2019 Subaru Impreza. Lots to learn since I moved up from a 1998 Legacy L. I was able to drive home from the dealer with a 5 minute intro. I learned stuff from he QuickStart manuals. Learned more from reading the large manuals (such as what features I’m missing out on since I bought the least expensive model). Still had a question about one mystery icon on the dash that wasn’t in the introductory manual, but finally discovered it was the icy road warning, which was a definite false positive.

But I know people who have no idea what the L gear is for. Was driving the car of my son’s friend and discovered that it does have cruise control after all. He had no idea. Not to make fun of him, he started driving at 4am for an 8 hour drive to pick up my son and me after my 1998 Legacy L’s axel was trash.

I have over 3 million miles driver, mostly tractor trailer, 15 years of school bus.
The driver is the biggest safety device a vehicle has, it is your job to know where everything is around you. Your eyes should be constantly moving, left mirror and window, windshield, right mirror and window, every so many passes check dash. If you do not have the time to do this ,but are instead locked into an unblinking stare at the brake lights of the car in front of you, YOU ARE FOLLOWING TOO CLOSE !