This Subaru is hot, Really HOT!

Looks like a good solution. I’ll try it. I like the size. One mechanic did say the blind spot monitor would work better if I could get the whole mirror to go out further. He thought there was a sensor in the mirror. I don’t know about that. Thanks for the pix.

I don’t know if they actually tested the temperature sensor. They said they measured the interior temperature and it was 8 degrees above the setting after running the car for a while. Since that was within the specs of 10-14 degree deviation, I believe they stopped there. Any further testing is on my dime. Apparently the sensor is deep in the dash with a tube to bring in air. I asked them to replace the sensor, but they haven’t been able to get the part yet. Two different dealers told me the cost would be about either $90 or $280 to replace that interior sensor. Neither has been able to get the part. Maybe they’re in high demand…:wink:

I wasn’t clear on the location of the thermometers. I haven’t dug into the dash because it’s a new car under warranty. From what the Subaru people have told me I believe the auto temp sensor is apparently buried deep in the bowels of the dash. It gets cabin air from a tube which collects air near the driver’s right knee. I placed a thermometer on the center console (out of the sun) about 9 inches from that air intake. I’ve moved thermometer’s around the interior and that location seemed representative of the actual temp that the driver and passengers feel. Yes, there’s always some temperature variation in the car, but my measurements are near the Subaru garage’s. And I think a “policy” of 10 - 14 degrees deviation from the setting is just poor engineering (or poor lawyer-ing).

The auto door locks (like many other things on the car) work great. No problem there.

I agree. Tried that. Didn’t help at all.

I have never owned a vehicle that was right on the money when it came to AC or heater temperature regulation. Never. I have owned many different cars, trucks and SUV’s and they were all lacking when it came to climate control. I really don’t notice it unless there is a female passenger or driver in the vehicle. The constant fiddling with the heater/AC controls brings it all back to me in a flash. I have owned several with climate control features and it was the same. In the case of my Jeep Cherokee’s…I even bypassed the heater core in hot weather so my AC would function better. It worked so I just put it down as a design flaw in these vehicles.

I agree 100%. But i would like to know what the actual sensor is reading…

I too use a stick-on convex mirror (often called a “fisheye” mirror) on all my vehicles. I use a small round one, and it truly makes a big difference.

Imagine, if you can, yourself hovering above your car. You “field of view” is a projection from the center of your retina outward through your pupil. The amount your mirror can project (convex mirrors excepted) follows the same rate of increase over distance as your eye, only it’s only a part of the visual field. The flag mirrors, protruding only inches from the sides of the car, cannot possibly see both to the sides of the car and behind the car. The visual field simply doesn’t increase that much (it isn’t that wide). “Fisheye” mirrors change the rate of increase over distance of the field of view dramatically.

On the rare occasion when I drive a vehicle without fisheye mirrors, I feel blind. I have to be extra-extra careful to compensate. I highly recommend these mirrors.

3 Likes

It’s probably in Japan, that’s why it wasn’t available locally . . .

I agree that temperature variations frequently exist, especially during short trips. On trips over 20 minutes I expect the temperature to be fairly close to the setting. I’m not looking for precision here, only something near the comfortable temp I set. When I set it for 68 and get 76 to 78, that’s not comfortable for myself or passengers. Of course Subaru officially says 78 to 82 is an acceptable alternative to 68. That’s just plain ridiculous. I never had this type of temperature variation in other cars that were either more or less expensive. Could Subaru’s lawyers have forced their engineers into the back seat?

I agree. The outside temperature sensor’s results are displayed on the dash and have been reasonable. I don’t know of any way to access the inside temp sensor. That’s why I’ve asked a dealer to get me a new one. I figure it’s one of the most probable culprits. Or maybe the car was made on a Monday and the sensor was never connected or installed. Who knows? Your idea of pursuing that reading is a good one. Next time I’ll ask the dealer to identify that reading if they can.

That is a possibility!
When I picked-up my brand new '74 Volvo, the heater didn’t work–at all.
It took 3 trips to the dealer’s service department before they finally discovered that the temperature control knob on the dashboard was connected to…nothing. At first, I thought that the knob was unusually easy to turn, but–of course–What do I know in comparison to Volvo’s “Factory Trained Technicians”?

…and that was just the beginning of my nightmare problems with that POS.
:rage:

It’s frustrating when there’s a problem they can’t find. I find it really frustrating when they say “that’s not a problem…that’s a feature!”.

1 Like

One of the dumbest things I’ve seen manufacturers do, including Subaru, is not adding a warning sound when there’s a vehicle in your blindspot and you put on the turn signal. How can these engineers so little common sense? Have they never ever actually driven a car on the highway and know that you can’t always take your eyes off the road when passing? That if the sun is shining on the rearview mirror you can’t see the flashing light?

That is designed that way intentionally, the lack of an audible warning forces the driver to look in the mirrors. The cross traffic alert has an audible warning but the blind spot monitor does not use it.

Maybe the person testing the mirror was 4’8 with the seat all the way up and said “Works for me!”

Lee, I’ve only seen one car with the warning alarm you mention. My 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport had that feature. It’s a good feature and assisted me several times.

1 Like

Right! Now if only I could trade cars with my wife; she would be a perfect fit! :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for that. Now I know I haven’t lost my mind.

You’ve missed my point entirely. The role of behavioral engineers is to devise ways to keep a driver’s eyes on the road. You tell me why it’s better to force a driver to take his eyes off the road ahead.

The blind spot monitor is intended to supplement the mirrors, not replace them.

A warning message from the owners manual;

The driver is responsible for driving safely. Always be sure to check the surroundings with your eyes when
changing lanes or reversing the
vehicle.
The system is designed to assist the driver by monitoring the rear and side areas of the vehicle during a
lane change or reversing. However, you cannot rely on this system alone in assuring the safety during
a lane change or reversing. Overconfidence in this system could result in an accident and lead to
serious injury or death. Since the system operation has various limitations,
the flashing or illumination of the BSD/RCTA approach indicator light may be delayed or it may not
operate at all even when a vehicle is present in a neighboring lane or approaching from either side.
The driver is responsible for paying attention to the rear and side areas of the vehicle.

2 Likes