This is why you flush your brake fluid

You mean what’s wrong with us, of course.

1 Like

The first time that I was in Italy, I couldn’t help noticing ads in drugstore windows–and on TV–for some sort of “breast cream” that featured bare-breasted women. That would surely not fly in many parts of The US, where censorship is rife.

I didn’t take to the standard fare in New Zealand restaurants, similar to UK, way too much meat and bread; but I liked the grocery store and roadside-stand products. I expect it was a similar issue for the UK writer, always eating in highway diners. He would have liked the food better here if he could have purchased what he liked from grocery stores & produce markets, and cooked it for himself. I very much doubt he would have decided to make biscuits and gravy on his own. There was no mention about American beer being too weak-tasting… lol … Cold American beer is definitely one product which I’d rate as superior to room temperature British ale.

No bangers and mash for you?

Dot 4 description sounds like my most recent urinealysis.

Europeans don’t drink warm beer, they just prefer it at cellar temperature (a little colder than room temperature).

This myth about Europeans drinking warm beer most likely occurred during the Second World War. when American soldiers placed in Britain were appalled to find that their refreshment at the end of a long day was not frosty cold like they were used to. Instead was a real ale not as chilly as they expected. The myth managed to stick, and turned into common knowledge amongst Americans.

I’m no fan of this “warm” beer either. But damn, American domestic beer is nasty. It’s barely tolerable unless it’s directly on the verge of freezing.

3 Likes

I agree with this for major brands. When I was in college we went to the Schaefer brewery in Fogelsville PA for tours. We’d make sure we were the last tour of the day so that we could have several beers before we had to leave. The beer tasted great, and our host Sid that Schaefer was best served at 35F IIRC. All the other beers (Bud, Schmidt’s, Miller etc) were fine at 45F but not Schaefer.

I prefer craft ales and many of them are fine in the 50s or 60s. It tastes as good after sitting on the side table for an hour as when I first opened it. I don’t drink strong ales quickly and don’t drink weak beer at all. That’s the great thing about beer. There’s plenty for everyone and we don’t have to all like the same thing.

1 Like

I’ll have to say that the food in Norway was pretty bad. Never been to New Zealand though. I guess we are just spoiled but still we are pretty productive. We had a visitor from Norway that had been here about a month. He was a teenager and on his last night we went to a restaurant. All he wanted was boiled potatoes. That was what he missed. I think he had to settle for baked.

In our group though when we sat down to eat over there we would check the meat to see how red it was. If it was really red, we suspected it was horse meat.

This discussion is 10 times more exciting than a stabilizer bar for a cargo van.

4 Likes

Morning, could we get a bit back toward our topic, please? Thanks.

Old fluid bad :upside_down_face:

Me, I’m quite a fan of the three most widely sold American beers, Miller High Life, Coors, and Budweiser. Toward this end, I purchased a new refrigerator with part of my Covid economic recovery loot, and enjoy one beer each afternoon, every time at the perfect 38 degrees F :wink: Beer must be in bottles of course.

Do you remember this old joke?
Q: Why is American beer like having sex in a canoe?
A: It’s f’ing close to water!

:rofl:

5 Likes

LOL indeed.

I hadn’t had a beer in maybe 50 years, outside of mikes lemonaide. But they didn’t have it where we were and the girl sold me something she said was close. I don’t know what it was but I pretended to drink it and threw most of it away. Next time I’ll bring my own and just pay the girl $7 to keep their stuff. Oh, yeah, no problem driving home after that.

Funny beer/Covid story. Initial Covid phase, not allowed to drive either of my vehicles. Corolla reason already explained, truck reason, long story, involving insurance co/DMV database clerk’s input error. Still, being car-less was not a problem b/c had bicycle. Except for heavy stuff. But didn’t need anything heavy, until ran out of beer, then big problem. Decided best solution for beer problem was to walk 2 miles to grocery store, carry beer back another two miles, using canvas shoulder-carry bags. Beer happened to be on sale, 30 can lot. Cans were a compromise, true, but seemed the best choice given the situation. Eyeballed canvas bags, decided each should be able to carry 15 cans. Barely. Long walk back, beers heavy, and homeless folk carefully eyeballing the cans of beers, walking behind, hoping one would fall out … lol …

1 Like

Beer in cans is no compromise. It tastes the same as bottled beer of the same brand. The key is to pour it into a glass to get the full benefit of the smell and taste. The beer store I frequent is a wall full, literally, of craft beers in cans. Also, wine in bags is a great way to sell and store wine. Wine oxidizes and the flavor changes once exposed to air. Bags contract around the wine and no air come in contact with the wine until it’s poured.

1 Like

Cans prevent UV damage to beer. I prefer them.

I store my beer in the dark, mostly the fridge, and light damage is not an issue. It won’t be an issue in the stores I use either since the six packs are nowhere near windows. You are correct about UV damage.

1 Like

I’m surprised you made it back with any. I half expected you to describe drinking them on the way home to remain hydrated and having made it home, discovered you needed to go back to get more beers! Endless loop… :laughing:

4 Likes