Think I'm getting jerked around by a dealer, NY state

I agree . . . they deserve an absolutely scathing review

You SHOULD tell all your friends, coworkers, relatives, etc. how this place jerked your chain

You sound angry enough to get the deal cancelled, unfortunate but sometimes we have to be a jerk to jerks, one subtle alternative would be to go to the alternate car dealer with the car you want, tell them you have a deal ready to go for them, tell them of the issues and let them call in the heavy hitters so you can get the car you want with no hassle, hustle or whatever.

Oh they have definitely lost my business. And actually, the other dealer has already agreed to meet the offer originally given by Dealer A. If I had been willing to just drive an hour and gone to this dealer first, I wouldn’t have had this frustration and wasted time. Live and learn.

Let the new dealer cancel you out of the current deal is what I was implying, tell them if they can do this they have a sale.

Aah. Well, he had already agreed to cancel the deal if he couldn’t get a car nailed down by close today. Plus they’ve got my only copy of my title and I need that for the trade. So I’ll just be there at opening, getting my cash money.

Sorry, I wouldn’t trust a new dealer with such important work. I’d do it in person. No telling, the new dealer may also end up having trouble finding that car

1 Like

I don’t think having the two dealers involved is a good idea. The OP sounds like they can handle this problem. Dealers trade vehicles all the time so having a small feud would not be good for either one. Besides dealer ships change ownership a lot these days so the first one being closer might actually be OK for warranty work after a change.

1 Like

Another update.

I have my money refunded and my title in hand. I have an appointment at another dealer at 12:30.

After all this, the salesman had the day off today and of course hadn’t even bothered to mention that. So I dealt directly with the sales manager and then the general manager. The GM, after hearing the story (which, frankly, he knew before because I had already left him a voicemail and talked to him, but he pretended to be surprised), was apologetic. It felt very false. Then he tried to save the deal with a last ditch financing offer if I would wait until they got a delivery next month. My response was not appropriate for polite company.

Here’s hoping the dealer I am seeing this afternoon is more reputable.

Congratulations! You stuck to your guns, too bad it had to come to this.

If someone does use this site for research this thread might show them the web site build it yourself feature of what ever brand they want and let it show them where they might find one at or close to there list.

It’s amazing how many people take the day off when they’re confronted in their cheating ways
 :imp:

Congratulations and sincere best to you.

The salesman failed to accomplish a dealer trade for three days in a row, I missed the part about “cheating”.

It sounds like this loser dealership didn’t actually think OP was going to call them on their BS games

I’m glad to hear that he wasn’t willing to play that game, and is taking his business elsewhere

They lost a customer, and they have only themselves to blame

Final update:

I bought my car from the other dealer yesterday, exact color/options I wanted, for $1,000 less than the original dealer. The second dealer is a “no haggle” dealership, so I was in and out in an hour and a half with a great experience, the car I wanted, and a great price. Now I will be sharing my negative experience at the first dealer and my great experience at the second dealer widely.

It worked out! Thanks for all the tips.

3 Likes

Like they say, time to just move on. No point in rubbing it in. Next time it may be the second dealer that does the same thing and you’ll be back to the first. The guy couldn’t or wouldn’t make the trade with another dealer through whatever reason-laziness, budget, inexperience, who knows? I’m not ready to call it dishonesty etc. Salesman turn over faster than the new car inventory.

I’d caution you on your reviews. If you are going to give a bad review to the first dealer, stick to verifiable facts. Many businesses are getting bad about suing people over bad reviews.

Statements like “they gave me the runaround” or “they jerked me around” or even “they promised
”. These are too vague. You can say that they contracted to deliver
 and were not able to fulfill the contract in the agreed upon time. These are verifiable facts. You can even say something like “I don’t feel like they tried hard enough” because that is a statement of your feelings as opposed to saying “They did not try hard enough”. You can’t prove the second version.

I’m glad to hear that you finally got what you wanted in the end though.

This caught my eye. It appears a dealer won’t trade what he believes is a more desirable car for one less desirable, for good reason. Obviously, this doesn’t escuse the crappy treatment from the first dealer.