Dealer lies

Can something be done about returning a car that the dealer sold with lies? I went to the dealer since I arrange an appointment to buy the car I wanted. When I got there the next day, they told me the car was sold. So he excuse himself and we started talking about another car. Two days later I saw that the original car I went to buy is still in the inventory online but not mine. The car is still at the dealer, I haven’t receive the car yet. Can I cancel the deal? Thanks

Depends on what you signed.

Hi Purebred,

Well, I signed everything to buy the car, but the car is still in their possession. They are going to deliver it tomorrow.



It is really quite simple . You call the dealership and ask them this question .

1 Like

Probably it is, but there is no way to know if what they are saying is true. They lied already, why not lie again for their benefit?

Do you know who can give me an honest answer?


On a Forum web , doubtful. I for one don’t know your state or country consumer rules , I can’t see you paper work ( and no I don’t want to ) plus you might have a 3 day refusal as some states do .
The longer you wait the less chance you have of having this resolved .

Call the sales manager and tell them the vehicle you wanted is still listed and that you don’t want this one. You signed so that may be the end of story.

1 Like

The person that can answer your question if you can’t understand the purchase contract you signed and aren’t familiar with the laws where you live is a lawyer you hire.

Just remember, like politicians, you can always tell when a car saleseman is lying to you… it is everytime they are talking! :wink:


Oh well, thank you very much Volvo V70 and Mustagman. I’ll try both suggestions


1 Like

But one certain politician is really good at it .


I can think of several reasons your preferred car is back on their web site, none of them related to lying. What I can’t come up with is why the dealer would purposefully lie to you about an available car. Why would they?

The original vehicle may have have been sold and then canceled just like this person wants to do . Or the credit check showed that the buyer could not qualify .

A lawyer can give you the answer.

1 Like

I believe was that when I spoke and arrange the appointment by phone, the person that I spoke with gave me a wrong price and I asked several times the same question just make sure about it. It was a 2-hour drive. When I got there the guy told me the price was not correct and unfortunately the car was sold later in the afternoon after I called.

If the original car was now available, wouldn’t you prefer to have a happy customer that will talk very good about your selling principles; and call you back telling you that they got your preferred car back?

Unfortunately, I’m one that could never be a Politian or work for a dealer!! :grin:

1 Like

That particular car might be a “strippo” loss leader that they use to lure people into the dealership, and then they up-sell them to a model with more equipment and a higher profit. Of course, that is just a guess…

Yes, those are two very likely possibilities.


The salesman you dealt with might not even know the vehicle was available again . Dealer ships change hands so often anymore that a problem like this is not even a concern.

You should have asked if you could put a refundable deposit on the original vehicle and why would you go 2 hours for a vehicle .

Would you have driven that for $6000 difference from everywhere I searched and called?

If there really was a 6000.00 difference on a new vehicle with the options I wanted and there was a local dealer for service I would have just made the deal by phone and had it dropped at my door step . One of my neighbors did that for a new vehicle.

Nope, what I did was email my local dealer, asked them if they would get the vehicle from the other dealership and then sell it to me at the advertised price. They did and I bought it.


I did not think about that option, too late to cry, but I thought that it worth the 2-hour drive, to save a month’s pay and get out of the house for a while was very appealing. I really did not mind the driving, but I just wanted to make emphasis to them, cause I know many people won’t do it.

Lessons learned.

OK, so now I understand. You got a crazy good price over the phone to entice you to come in. The old bait and switch. Lesson learned, get it in writing next time, if the dealer then tries to get out of it, show them the email, if they still use the ‘it’s sold’, leave and find a different dealer. They’re counting on you caving after driving 2 hours.

Still leaves the question about the current new car. If no money has changed hands you might be able to void the deal, but I don’t know.