Thick white smoke from exhaust and sputtering

I just recently added about 4qt. of oil to my 98 honda accord after driving for about 5 min. thick white smoke poured out of the exhaust pipe and the car started to sputter when my foot was on the gas it doesn’t do it continuously but it keeps happening.

So, you let the engine go four quarts low on oil?

To expand on tardis’ question–What is the total oil capacity of this engine?

If–as I suspect–the total oil capacity is 5 qts, then you have done some serious damage to this engine by allowing it to operate for…probably some time…with only a minimal amount of oil in the crankcase.

That being said, white smoke is usually indicative of a breached head gasket, or a warped cylinder head, or a cracked engine block.

All-in-all, it sounds like this engine has some serious problems, most likely the result of lack of maintenance or other types of abuse. As just one example besides running the engine with insufficient oil–Has this engine ever been overheated?

Have you checked the dipstick for the motor oil to see if there is evidence of coolant in the oil?
If the oil looks like a chocolate milkshake, that means that the motor oil has been diluted/contaminated with coolant, as a result of one or more of the above-noted situations.

Also–Take a look at the coolant overflow reservoir for evidence of oil contamination.
If you see a heavy, dark line near the top of the reservoir, that is evidence of oil contamination of the cooling system.

Please report back to us on your findings.
I don’t think that we will have any good news for you, but…hope springs eternal.