They ask, we answer. But no response from the OP

This fits a few posters, certainly not all, that seem to want or expect an answer that isn’t what they get. Whether they learn anything from those unexpected answers we’ll never know.

I read and post on this site because I like cars, am interested in solving problems, and find it fun to learn new stuff. A response from more posters would be nice but it doesn’t ruin my experience when visiting this site.

For the most part, I think it’s just plain rudeness.

I actually enjoy reading the responses from the experts in here. Sometimes when you search something and you find a thread similar to your problem you wish the OP had gotten back with the final word. For the most part I think they are asking for a 2nd opinion or confirming the 1st opinion before spending major $.

You didn’t buy it yet?! Get on the stick!

Let me say that I appreciate you “top-250” posters very very much. I have posted many questions on this forum regarding my four (plus or minus) cars and trucks, and you guys and others who might not be top-250 posters have helped me a great deal. I have really tried to post back with the results of the projects I had asked about, but I may have missed a few, due either to abandoning the project, or just plain forgetfulness. Please forgive me for that. You guys have done me, my family, and undoubtedly many others a great service by sharing your wisdom. It is people like you who do so much to make not only cartalk but the internet itself the trmendous resources they are. Thank you.

2010 models get ordered late August/early September. Will have dealerships vie to build it for me

Even if the OP does not feedback the outcome and solution, the suggestions and comments by the “Top 250” are helpful. There is always something to remember and more to learn. It is icing on the cake to get a “that was it ----”.

I would like to say first off that I enjoy this forum. I have a little car experience, but nothing like the “Top 250”. So when I have a question, or just to see what’s what, I come here.

That being said some top posters can be quite rude as well. As was stated the make/model/year example, but also I have seen answers that are condesending to the OP or leap to judgement. These posts are rare, but being the causual reader I have seem a handfull of times and if I was not a regular reader, or if I was the OP reading such replies, I would not come back either.

Rare instances, and for the most part everyone here is very helpful. I agree that that it would be nice if OP’s let us know the outcome.

Hope I did not make too many enemies.

Remember “My husband thinks are fixes are air car” or something like that?

Sometimes, an original poster (OP) does come back with the resolution, and doesn’t seem to get read by usual responders. We (usual responders) need to give more “atta boys/ girls”.

T h e- b o a r d- i s- r u n n i n g- s - l - o - w - l - y , isn’t it?

I posted this question over the weekend, checked my system top to bottom,finaly got a pro involved and they said it was the Car Talk site that is running slow,my equipment was perfect.

Aside from the politeness of hearing a “thank you” from the OP, I’m always curious about what the OP heard.

When lots of people reply to a given question, the diverse answers they often give make me wonder what message the OP actually heard.

We had some problems with the CTC servers this past weekend followed by a brief window of login/posting downtime Monday AM EST. We’ll be making some further modifications to the server to try and prevent this in the future, but as of yesterday we should be back to normal.

If you see a problem in the future, feel free to contact us directly (in addition to posting in a thread). It takes us a while to get through all the threads too.

http://community.cartalk.com/help/contact.page

Keith

CTC Lackey

I wonder if the OP (Original Poster) realizes that when multiple responses are given, that the responders mean to say, “…do this, and ALL of the other responses”.
For example:
Responder 1: Change the spark plugs.
Responder 2: Change the spark plug wires.
Responder 3: Change the air filter.
WE know that they all should be done; but, the OP…?

I know it has already been mentioned about being polite, but the regular posters shouldn’t begin a response to the OP with “Stop Whining” and then wonder why they don’t come back.

I haven’t noticed real rude responses, maybe we have different thresholds. Sometimes it depends on how you read the response. I, for one could use a whack to my head once in a while. There are some gems on this board with expertise, experience and dedication that goes beyond what I would expect from an online, free forum.

I agree that there is a lot of talent and expertise on this board and I have respect for them, but my quote is from a current, active discussion.

Personally, as a frequent questioner, I try to provide follow up results in a timely manner. And, as a matter of habit, I believe in showing the courtesy of thanking responders for their time, knowledge, and efforts. Once in awhile I’m tardy with a follow up and thanks.

Perhaps many people asking questions expect this to be a instant answer source they need give no greater thanks to than if they looked something up in the dictionary. That’s sad, as good manners are never wasted!

Marnet,

I couldn’t agree more.