There's a crease in my tire

I see a crease in my driver’s side rear tire, radiating from the rim to the tread. There’s a weight at that point on the rim. I don’t see similar creases on other tires. This tire loses about .25 psi/daily; the others hold.

Could just be a normal seam in the construction of the tire. Post a pic for us and we can tell you more.

1 Like

Usually when I have a leaking tire I go to the tire shop and have it checked.

Without seeing the tire I will throw out a somewhat certain guess that the crease might be more accurately called a ridge and is likely the splice in a radial ply. Such a ridge is common. If you take a second look at the other tires you will likely find all have it but visible to a lesser degree.

Maybe you can run across an old scrap radial tire and cut it and on close inspection you can see the stacked cords at a ridge.

2 Likes

Does it look like this:

Tire Bulge

Or does it look like this:

Tire Indentation

The first one - if small like in that photo - is where the ply cords didn’t quite get matched up and there is a small gap or they have been broken. If large, this could be a problem.

If this is not on a new tire, It’s most likely the result of an impact - hitting a pothole or something like that. Have someone look at it.

If it is a new tire, take it back and have it replaced under warranty.

If it’s like the second photo, that is where the ply cords overlap and the tire is actually stronger there. Not a problem except for the way it looks.

2 Likes

Can’t speak to the crease issue, but on older tires on vehicles seldom used, it’s pretty common to spring a small leak where the wheel weight is located. Fill up the tire then brush some soapy water there, looking for bubbles forming.

1 Like

I have no camera. I would have posted a picture otherwise.

You’re sensible.

It looks exactly like that. Thanks for the photo.

Thassa me! I bought these Goodrich Premiers 2002 November 16, but they have only 20K miles on them: with a rating of 540 they have a lot of rated miles left on them. The tread looks great.

16 year old tires are most likely not the safest thing to have.

3 Likes

I agree that 16 year old tires are a safety hazard no matter what the tread looks like. Just like rubber belts, rubber seals, and plastic dashboards; they all disentegrate to some degree due to heat, the sun, etc.

They may be useable but I’d be a bit antsy over them on any long sustained high speed trip.

Agree with @VOLVO_V70 20K miles or not, the tires are old, dry and hard after 16 years. I’d bet they feel very slippy in the rain and the age is why.

I’d replace them, they really aren’t that safe anymore.

+1
Additionally, their wet road traction is almost surely… bad… as a result of the rubber compound having hardened over that extended time period. These tires are actually overdue for replacement, as a result of their age.
:thinking:

1 Like

If I wanted to be safe I’d stay off the roads.

I live in the desert

Random Troll makes the most of his tires! 16 years! I think the polite term is “Fully depreciated.” Cool post. I am the polar opposite. I keep two sets of tires for my vehicles and if they get damaged or worn past halfway, I’m off to see Doug the tire guy.

2 Likes

+1
My current vehicle came with truly crappy Continental tires that I hated from day one, and as soon as they suffered their second puncture (at about 10k miles), I was off to Costco to replace them with infinitely superior Michelins.

My philosophy is that life is too short–under the best of circumstances–to cut corners when it comes to one’s happiness, and when something is a potential safety hazard, cutting corners could make one’s life…
much shorter.

2 Likes

Then your question about tires is moot. If you don’t drive, you don’t need to ask a question about tire condition.

It rains in the desert, doesn’t it? When it does, you become a danger to yourself and others by driving on these tires. But that brings us back to your moot question about your tires.

Desert living: Hot - relentless sun - does not have a Convenience store and CVS on every corner - cell phone coverage might be spotty - some slithering thing called a Rattlesnake . It just seems that good dependable tires would be a high priority.

1 Like

Not for everyone, apparently…
:thinking:

1 Like

Add in few and far between rainstorms make the roads extra slippery when it does finally rain…

2 Likes

Webster’s 3rd defines moot thusly:

1. To argue for and against; to debate; to discuss; to propose for discussion.

2. Specifically: To discuss by way of exercise; to argue for practice; to propound
    and discuss in a mock court.

3. To argue or plead in a supposed case.

4. A meeting for discussion and deliberation; esp., a meeting of the people of a
    village or district, in Anglo-Saxon times, for the discussion and settlement of
    matters of common interest; – usually in composition; as, folk-moot.

5. A discussion or debate; especially, a discussion of fictitious causes by way
    of practice.

6. Subject, or open, to argument or discussion; undecided; debatable; mooted.

People have started using it to mean the opposite: something we should stop discussing. I speculate that they reacted to the law-school practice of ‘moot court’, in which students argue a case that they can’t decide. Unless you-all plan to come to Albuquerque, kidnap my car, install new tires (you’re welcome!) I mooted this discussion when I started it.

I don’t need to do anything. I had a question about my tire. I mooted it. Consenting adults responded. I learned that tires are made this way. I’m grateful.

From Dictionary.com

adjective

1. open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful:
    Whether that was the cause of their troubles is amoot point.
  2. of little or no practical value, meaning, or relevance; purely academic: In practical terms, the issue of her application is moot because the deadline has passed.
  3. Chiefly Law. not actual; theoretical; hypothetical. verb (used with object)
  4. to present or introduce (any point, subject, project, etc.) for discussion.
  5. to reduce or remove the practical significance of; make purely theoretical or academic.
  6. Archaic. to argue (a case), especially in a mock court.
    Noun
  7. an assembly of the people in early England exercising political, administrative, and judicial powers.
  8. an argument or discussion, especially of a hypothetical legal case.
  9. Obsolete. a debate, argument, or discussion.

Since I used the word as a noun, description 9 applies. Webster’s also uses this description for use as a noun. The discussion is obsolete since you don’t drive the vehicle. And obsolete since you don’t drive in the desert rain, either.

I am glad you learned something in the discussion. I hope you learned that these tires should be replaced IF you should ever want to drive this vehicle again.

1 Like