Theaircar too good to be true?

The way I see it is that if electric or fuel cell vehicles caught on, more americans would probably get into generating their own power with solar or wind setups at home. Somehow you can’t convince someone now that a solar setup will save them money in the long run, but I have a feeling that in a culture where people will drive 10+ miles out of their way for gas that’s a nickel cheaper, that solar panels and wind generation would be more popular if they’re generating car fuel.

Refineries aren’t exactly the cleanest operation either.

I recently saw a Nova episode where they talked about global dimming. Particulate emission is resulting in a loss of solar energy reaching the earth (10% U.S., up to 25% in some other areas compared to the 1950s). The cooling effect is offsetting global warming due to greenhouse gases. I won’t go into detail here but they have some compelling evidence suggesting that elimination of particulate emissions would actually be a bad thing if we do not also curb greenhouse gas emission. Watch it if you get a chance…

PBS, Nova, and many others never tell the entire story behind the alleged “man caused global warming” business.

That’s the problem now; it’s on TV, therefore it must be true.

My son is in the meteorological/climatological field and can explain any of that, including the particulants in the atmosphere.

Without going into details, I’ll just say this.
Do you know that science, to this day, does not know what causes lightning, raindrops, etc. It’s all generally accepted theories.
As to particulants in the air, it is generally accepted that those particulants MUST be there. This is what gives water molecules something to cling to and form rain drops. Without particulants, no cling, no rain drop.

As to global warming there’s some slanted stories behind that too.
Example. One testing station was located guess where? On top of a roof next to a rooftop A/C unit. Hard to believe one would get warmer readings in the sun next to an air conditioning condenser, huh?
Another was placed next to some junk cars and yet another was placed UNDERNEATH the eve of a house - ABOVE a central AC unit blowing heated condenser air upwards.

Think the thermometer will rise a bit on those?

Do you know that science, to this day, does not know what causes lightning, raindrops, etc. It’s all generally accepted theories.

The same is true for gravity, but I’m still not planning on jumping off the roof because no one can detect a graviton. (-;

And, it’s been suggested, part of the reason why climate change seems to be accellerating faster than previously projected is that its effects have been masked by “global dimming” that’s prevented as much sunlight from reaching the earth’s surface. But in the last 30 years or so, we’ve gotten a lot better at reducing particulate emissions, but there’s still really no effective way to reduce carbon emissions.

The conclusion of the NOVA program was that the harmful health effects of the particulate pollution was far more deteriorous than the benifits of slowing down climate change, which I suppose is true. I personally think climate change is unavoidable and that the global dialogue should be more about what to do about it as opposed to how to stop it.

…but there’s still really no effective way to reduce carbon emissions.

Unfortunately, the only effective way to reduce CO2 emissions is to burn less carbon based fuel, and that’s unlikely to change anytime soon.

That’s the problem now; it’s on TV, therefore it must be true.

My son is in the meteorological/climatological field and can explain any of that, including the particulants in the atmosphere.

Without going into details, I’ll just say this.
As to particulants in the air, it is generally accepted that those particulants MUST be there. This is what gives water molecules something to cling to and form rain drops. Without particulants, no cling, no rain drop.

See, you haven’t even taken the time to see the program and yet you rush to judgement based on your own flawed view of the situation. Who’s really the blind one?

Naturally occuring particulates in the atmosphere (pollen, dust etc) are much larger than those produced by I/C engines. Therefore, they rain out much more readily. The smaller particles can retain the condensation and remain suspended thus reflecting more light. Perhaps your son can explain it to you.

I did see that article…I wouldn’t judge something which you haven’t seen yet. Most of the JUNK science I’ve seen comes from sources like Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh. Yet there are THOUSANDS if not MILLIONS who believe every word they say…The same people who think WWF is REAL.

Personally, if I was in a cab in India (and I have been) I think I would like some metal around me :slight_smile: