The sad destruction of a restored Mach 1 Mustang

I can’t even imagine why someone would have a vehicle like this hauled on an open trailer .

The same can happen in an enclosed trailer as well. Road accidents happen anywhere.

Imagine sending 7 priceless Porsches to an event in California from Florida. Trust in the driver is paramount. More than reducing the risk of splitting up the load between 2 transporters.

About 35 years ago while working for Digital Equipment we had a delivery of new Vax’s for our team. They hired a local shipper to deliver the 5+ systems. They unloaded the systems from the TT and there behind the systems was a Ferrari. Back then each Vax was about the same price as the Ferrari.

2 Likes

5 Vax’s and a Ferrari must have been at the limit of the shippers insurance!

Shippers limit the amount of razor blades allowed in each semi-trailer (about one pallet) because the value is so high. Printer ink refills must be in the same category.

5 years ago, we ordered delivery of some mid-range NetApp computer storage system, for the ballpark of low-6-digits.

The day of delivery FedEx Ground truck showed up to our rear dock, but the guy had hard time getting to park flush to the loading dock, and although we asked the driver repeatedly to be careful, he’s got the storage box loaded on some oversized dolly and as he tried unloading it, he dropped it in the gap between the dock and his truck, missing his ramp by few inches. Equipment was definitely destroyed and we did not accept delivery, he spent hours first talking to his boss, then loading busted parts back.

It was few days before the next FedEx Ground truck showed up… and we told the story to the new delivery boy and asked him to be careful… only to hear “ha! trust me!! I’m a professional!!!” and smacking the second box pretty much similar way :frowning:

we were supposed to configure and make a dry-run on that equipment before delivering to the actual customer, so the third and final delivery was requested from UPS and happened to the customer premise, our installer guy spent there whole weekend, day and night, compensating for the double-bust we had from FedEx before and delays it caused

that was the worst logistics disaster I was witness to myself

@MikeInNH. Your mentioning the VAX brings back memories. I ran a lot of statistics jobs through a VAX. I think there were three VAX computers in the VAX cluster. Unfortunately, the software company that developed the most commonly.used statistics software required a license for each computer in the cluster, so we were restricted to just one computer.
I would bet that the Ferrari in your shipment of the VAX machines is worth more today than the VAX machines are worth.
Computing has really changed in the last 35 years. I haven’t kept up with the times. I still run my Babbage machine. When it has a problem, a woman from the Geek squad makes a service call. Her first name is Ada and her last name is something like Lovelace.

I would not write that car off just yet. I bet someone will snag that car, restore it, and you would never know that it been on the roof.

There’s been some cars a lot worse off than that one which were restored to immaculate condition.

3 Likes

I cringe every time that I have to have something delivered via FedEx.
One time, they left a shipment of several paper sacks of lawn product in my driveway–DURING a rain storm. :rage:

Back in 2003, I ordered a new desktop computer, monitor, keyboard & printer, and it was shipped via FedEx. Naturally, this required a signature for delivery, so the stuff went back to their warehouse because I wasn’t home when they arrived. I phoned FedEx, and arranged to pick up my stuff from the warehouse because it was very close to the college that I was attending, post retirement from the school system.

For the next three days, I had to return repeatedly to their warehouse because they continued to attempt home delivery while I was in class, despite my having arranged for pick-up at their warehouse. And, they acted like they were doing me a favor by re-entering the delivery instructions multiple times into their data system.

On a visit to pick up merchandise at a different FedEx warehouse, they kept me and several other customers waiting for about 20 minutes while their staff perused take-out menus and argued about where to order lunch that day. If this had taken place behind closed doors, nobody would have known the cause of the delay in service, but these dolts carried out their drawn-out lunch arguments in full view of the customers.

There have been other… issues… with FedEx, but I won’t bore everyone with the details.

It may be different in other parts of the country, but in my neck of the woods, FedEx’s customer service is about as bad as can be.

I MUCH prefer UPS.

1 Like

I had a friend with a brand new Jeep Wrangler she was very proud of.

One weekend she was out driving some trails near her home. At one point she was trying to back up to turn around, and she backed into a tree or post or something. Specifically, the spare tire on the back took the hit…which then crushed in the rear tailgate. The Jeep was maybe a few months old. So off to the body shop. It stayed in the body shop for several weeks. She was excited to go pick it up on the scheduled “ready” day from the body shop.

The day she was going to pick up the completed Jeep, she got a call from the body shop. Turns out…someone at the body shop backed into her completed Jeep…and caused basically the exact same damage that they’d just repaired. Friend was devastated. So it took a few more weeks, but she finally got it back.

One of the craziest stories I ever heard, but it happens.

The Vax’s today are worth almost nothing. The Vax’s actually have a negative value since it’ll cost money to scrap them. Great machines, but obsolete. My Apple Watch is over 1,000 times more powerful and over 1,000 times more memory and uses 1,00,000 times less power. And the Vax consisted of 3 cabinets the size of a refrigerator and weighs several hundred pounds.

Say stang was worth 100k. Now it totaled and worth 50k. Well, if it goes thru copart it might be worth more. You going to write a check for 50k to buy this project?

50k? stick a fork in it, that thing is totaled. Not much left body-wise. After rolling down an embankment, the suspension is probably toast as well, frame bent up. It’s worth some money yet but I seriously doubt anyone is paying anywhere near $50k…maybe $15k…

@MikeInNH. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the VAX required three phase 480 volt power. Your Apple watch runs on a little battery. The advances in computer technology from the time I was a graduate student 50 years ago to the present are overwhelming to me. Nobody punches cards for input to the computer any more. Automobile technology certainly hasn’t advanced ad much. Most vehicles are still powered by an internal combustion engine. Fuel injection was available in Chevrolet and Pontiac in 1957. The Cord was using front wheel drive back in the 1930s.
I thought the VAX cluster was a big step up from the DEC 10. The DEC10 was far better for research and instruction than sharing an IBM mainframe with the administration. I remember running a neural net program on the machine in my office that had a 286 chip and a math coprocessor. The desktop computer ran continuously for almost five days before it converged. Several years later, I had a computer with the 486 chip. I ran a neural net that was even more complex. I started the program and then went to the kitchen to fix myself a cup of coffee. After drinking the coffee, I went back and the program had finished. The speed difference was greater in comparison to my dad talking about making the trip from Northern Illinois to Southern Minnesota in a Model T Ford. I think they averaged 25 mph and the trip.took two days. I have driven from Minneapolis, Minnesota to East Central Indiana in one long day drive.

Hagerty’s values the car between $68,000 and $84,000. It was a restoration so it can be re-restored without losing any value.

But I agree, even at $84K, I think it is totaled. The owner surely spent more than $84K having it restored, if it was done to a high level

Many people who want a car restored do not care what the cost is. You can see this at every auction from Barrett Jackson, Mecum, and so on. When the hammer drops the sale price is quite often way less than what has been invested.

A few years ago a very wild totally custom 60 or 61 Ford Starliner went for something like 70 or 80 grand. Someone had likely invested 200 grand in that thing. Selling cars at auction and getting a fraction of what was invested is pretty common.
To me anyway, the 429 would merit a restoration although from a financial standpoint not so much.

If they can turn this into that then anything is possible even if not financially sound. They had a bit of help along the way. (2016 Hellcat was inside a garage that burned down)

1 Like

I can see putting in the time, money, and effort, to restore true classic and/or unique cars. Because they literally aren’t making any new 1970 Mach I Mustangs. I get that.

But last time I check, Dodge is still making Hellcat Challengers. You could go buy a brand new one today. Why in the world would you “restore” a Hellcat that had been burned up in a garage? How could that ever possibly be more cost (or peace of mind) effective than just buying a new one?

Seems the older I get, the less I understand.

A friend had a candy apple red 1969 Mach 1 Mustang he used as his daily driver for many years. He fully restored it at about 25 years and kept driving it some years more. It now belongs to his adult son who is restoring it a second time.

His sister who is also my friend has their parents 1957 Ford Fairlane hard top convertible which is a gorgeous red with white leather seats. It’s in gorgeous condition and gets trotted out for occasional fun use in parades or simply to load up family and go for a spin in the sunshine.

One of my cousins has a vintage 1950s Triumph two-seater roadster that was originally used as a racing car. She has fun driving it frequently and often takes it to various local free car shows. She also had a 1970s era Triumph 2 (I think that’s right) for some time. She has several other vehicles like a vintage Firebird. It’s always interesting to see what she’s up to with her collection.

Many years ago a late friend of mine restored a 56 Ford Crown Vic. The car ended up worth far more than what he invested in it money-wise. But, he spent a ton of hours over a couple of years to make that car look as good as it did.

He found the 56 in a field with no motor, no fenders, and no hood. A bit more digging turned up a 56 Ford station wagon on the cheap and voila; he soon had a complete running Crown Vic.

The car was done in hot pink and white while the interior (for which he paid dearly) was also done in matching hot pink and white. Even added a Continental kit to the back and it was no trailer queen. He would drive it hundreds of miles to car shows and won a number of awards.

Unfortunately, when the oil boom went bust many people lost their jobs (including him and me) and a fair number of indy shops and dealers folded up. He ended having to sell the Crown Vic and it became a showpiece in an old car museum.

Depends on which Vax. The 11/730 was a small one and did not require 480. Also the later ones were much less power hungry and also did’t require 480.

I’ve been working in this field since punched cards and a 40m disk drive was 4’ in diameter and cost $20,000. You can get a disk drive today with over one million times more space, over one million times faster and several magnitudes more reliable and it’s only 3" diameter (solid state drive) and costs less then $200.