The most ridiculous vehicles ever produced?

I don t think microcars are ridiculous at all, taking one on a freeway would be tho

I didn’t own one, a buddy of mine did and he let me drive it a few times. It was an absolute riot to drive. The 10" wheels and torqey little motorcycle engine could chirp the tires between gears… even though you were hardly moving. And when you passed it on the road, it looked like a front and rear with no middle. It was there and then it was gone. And stepping out the front always shocked everyone that saw it. That was back in the days of gas station attendants, and every time we’d pull up to a pump the poor attendant would stand there stupefied, not knowing where (or if) to put gas in. Ah, the good old days…

how has nobody mentioned the pontiac aztec yet? I’ll also mention the Nissan Juke. While I’m sure they’re safe and have all the regular creature comforts of todays cars, theyre still hideous.

Both the Aztec and the Juke look like they were designed by dysfunctional committees totally without leadership or oversight.

My vote is for the 61-68 Amphicar. I actually owned a 1961 model back in the late 60’s. I traded for it at a car lot because no one showed any interest in it at all. I sold it a couple of days later because it scared the crap out of me when I drove it across a lake and back. It leaked everywhere and smelled like a wet basement. I have always loved this Amphicar ad because it could be a nice day on the water…or are they are frantically waving for help?

Actually I think those amphibious cars are super cool. I have no experience with them, and I’m sure the execution of the idea could be improved on. I’m surprised no mainstream car company has continued with the idea. Probably too many liabilities of some sort, or the lack of it being able to remain water tight for 100K for a warranty.

Too unsafe. The same belly that gave it lift in the lake also gave it lift on the highway. In truth, it was a toy back then (never really considered a full time car) and remains just a toy. A cool one, IMHO, but a toy nonetheless.

Still chasing the dream:

Max speed on the Amphicar: 70 mph (or less) road, 7 mph water, so can’t get anywhere quick. Major safety issue to me is that a large wake could swamp it.

I nominate the original Hummer for most ridiculous.
I kinda like the Juke by the way. Even the Aztec sorta.
Must be something wrong with me.

The Aztek was designed by accountants and the Juke by Renault. How’s that for dysfunctional committees?

A guy I went to school with had an Amphicar and it was stolen a year or so ago. Have heard no more of it so not sure how anyone could hide one. He has been known to have some colorful friends so who knows. I had talked to him before the thing was stolen and he had gone over the whole thing and restored it. He was quite proud of it.

Buick had those fake convertible tops for a while. In 86 the dealer gave us his wife’s Park Ave to try out before we bought one and it had one of those atrocious tops on it. They looked terrible and don’t know why anyone would order it. Not wanting to offend them we never said anything about it and they never mentioned it either but it was ugly.

“I nominate the original Hummer for most ridiculous.”

////What’s ridiculous about the HMMWV? You need a go-anywhere military transport; it was a good one. How would you have improved it? Or would you just stay with the Jeep?

Here’s my Dad’s version of the amphibious car. He built it in our garage while I was growing up. The drive shaft drops to connect to the propeller shaft. The front wheels sit on turntables and cables operate the conventional rudder behind the prop. The hulls used to be two Republic RC-3 Seabee flying boat hulls. He got it to where it would plane at 25 mph and pull water skiers.
(See page 13 for a pic of it at speed.)

In it’s own way, the plethora of large SUVs with 4wd used to cart on person around at 10 to 13 mpg for years are some of the the most ridiculous vehicles produced .

The original hummer was never intended for civilian use. It was designed as a troop carrier for invading hostile countries, even ones without roads. It was the opposite of ridiculous, it was pure function, able to climb a 60% grade and carry troops anywhere behind the lines. It was designed as a “Willy’s Jeep” on steroids.

In my opinion the ridiculous ones were the H2 and H3. They took regular truck platforms and rebodied them with the “going to war” look at the expense of function. They’re fakes, pretend Hummers.

Of the many complaints about the hummer is that for such a large vehicle you only had 4 seats with a huge console between, Unstoppable off road but not really that great for daily use, unless you like buying that much diesel. The H2 and H3 were produced to add sales volume using existing platforms. The weirdest Zimmer-like creation was a late 90’s Chevy S10 with a similar front end to the Zimmer.

A comedian ( do not remember who ) said of the Hummer H2 - Why does a 100lb woman need a 5000 lb vehicle to go to the store for a 1 lb loaf of bread?

Again, it was never intended for civilian use. It didn’t even meet the D.O.T. requirements for an over-the-road vehicle. Those who complained hopefully realized that they were using the H1 in a manner for which it was totally not designed.

It was Arnold Schwarzenegger who talked the manufacturer, AM General, into modifying one to meet the D.O.T. requirements for road use for him, at his cost of course. He had the money and the political connections. When he was seen in the news with his, others wanted them so they began to sell a civilian version, but that was never their intended market.

Yeah, blame the vehicle because it’s poorly utilized. That makes sense, pause not!

That’s like saying a B747 is “ridiculous” because it was operated between Harrisburg PA and Canton OH, with only 14 passengers aboard per flight. NO, the equipment is awesome…the flight schedule is ridiculous!

The H2 or H3 are ridiculous because they were Suburbans and (I forget which) in GI Joe body panels…they fit no defined objective, outside of being a poseurmobile.

THAT’S why I thought it odd somebody would specify the original Hummer (HMMWV, or I guess maybe H1) as ridiculous, when the H2/3 make better targets.