The most dependable car is - Jaguar!

I think it was the 2 door 2005 jag (I don’t remember which one, it was an artical on msn homepage)

I doubt it. I went to msn.com and looked up their reliability ratings for the 2005 Jaguar S, XJ, XK, and X types. They were all rated outstanding in all categories. BTW, they do not use JD Power for their ratings. In fact, they rated all 4 Jags as outstanding in all7 categories in all years since 2002 except for the X-Type engine in 2002 and 2003 - it had moderate problems. So, that’s at least 2 out of 3 rating agencies that thinks Jaguar has had consistently high reliability for several years.

MB, the Jag would be expensive to fix, but so would a Lexus or Benz or BMW. A few weeks back I looked at the expected cost to repair a Lexus over 5 years versus a Dodge Caliber. Even though the Lexus is exceptionally reliable, it was more expensive to fix because it is a luxury import. I imagine that there would be more problems with the Caliber, but it just doesn’t cost as much to maintain. And you are correct that JD Power does not rate the type of problem, just that there is one. They say that any problem is enough to turn a customer against a brand. I hope Toyota fixed the moon roof and hatch strut problems As of 2006, the Scion tC had only been around for 2 years, but they’ve had time to fix it now.

You do understand that there is a difference between reliability and maintenance, correct?

Having to take your car in for an oil change is entirely different than you right rear wheel bearing failing at 22k miles.

As a fellow Boxster owner, I understand that maintenance costs on the Boxster are higher than on a Toyota Corolla. Lets start with 9 quarts of full synthetic oil vs 4 quarts of conventional oil. A $45 air filter vs a $12 air filter. A $29 oil filter vs a $5 oil filter. Then the labor rate at your dealer is $125 per hour in comparison to $85 at the local Toyota dealer.

Heck, a replacement Boxster engine costs the same as a brand new base Corolla.

My Boxster has so far been very reliable to me.
I bought it with 77k miles on it, and have put 10k miles on it so far.
I replaced all the brake pads and rotors because they needed it when I got the car.
The front engine mount was also shot, and I replaced it.
The right rear strut was dead, and I replaced both rear struts.

The only part that has failed that I didn’t expect was the microswitch that tells the car that the convertible top is properly latched. That cost me a whopping $32.

Since I am able to do my own work on my car, and don’t need to pay a Porsche mechanic to do most of the work that needs to be done, I get to buy parts online for a fraction of what the dealers sell them locally for.

Heck, I spooned on the two replacement rear tires myself, and brought them to Discount Tire to be properly balanced. Every penny I save gets put into the next maintenance part for my car later in the year.

BC.

That’s why I’ve never owned a Lexus, Benz, or BMW either…cost of ownership. The frugal me always wins the battle. My son, however, did own two BMWs. He now owns a tC, and appreciates the difference in cost of ownership.

Mine is a 2005…one year after introduction. My son has a 2006 that he bought new after trying mine and getting tired of the expense of owning a BMW.

I don’t know if they’ve made any changes to the moon roof. The only real problem, it turns out, was that the system was sensitive to dirt in the tracks. The glass “spoiler” was also prone to shattering with impact damage, but that was corrected with a recall. The stuts were replaced with a heavier duty part.

Other than these body hardware issues, the reliability has been flawless. I’ve just passed 115,000 miles without any mechanical issues.

I’ve never purchased a Jaguar and must admit, it’s been the most reliable car I’ve never owned.

Twotone