The most dependable car is - Jaguar!

No, really. JD Power found in the 2009 study that Jaguar is more dependable than any other brand on the planet, excepting Buick. They tied for first. Lexus is third, in case you wondered what happened to the erstwhile winner. Toyota and Mercury rounded out the top five.

Now is a great time to buy that 2005 XJ. It’s depreciated hugely due to it’s poor perception, yet it won’t cost an arm and a leg to maintain. Well, compared to other cars of it’s ilk, such as an Infinity, or BMW, or Mercedes Benz, or a Lexus

Hey! What’s that floating in the punch bowl?!

JD Power…Although publicly known for the endorsement value of its product awards, J.D. Power obtains the majority of its revenue from corporations that seek the data collected from J.D. Power surveys for internal use.

Let’s see…revenue from the corporations that seek to use the data and not from the consumer who seeks to use the product…
Tell me why I should trust JD Power more than say “Car and Driver” who runs adds for the products they “test”. I’ll still wait to see what CR says.

Based on some of the cars that JD Power has endorsed in the past, I would rather look at Consumer Reports’ ratings. In my experience, their ratings are consistently more reliable. When CR rates a car’s projected reliability highly, it usually pans out. You can’t really say the same for JD Power.

How about saying that Buick is more dependable than any other brand of car on the planet excepting Jaguar.

By the way, it’s about 2009s, not 2005s. What’s the logic here?

Also, the 2009 Powers survey involves defects per car to date and 2009 is not even a year old. They went off prematurely.

It would be interesting to know whose survey is less comprehensive, J D Powers’ or Consumer Reports’. Consumer Reports, in my view, concentrates too much on minutiae and they never asked me what I think although we have purchased 10 new cars since 1986. When I occasionally look at a CS magazine for free on a newsstand, it seems that the cars that we buy typically don’t have the defects that they claim.

I agree with Wha Who about the differences between the JD Power study and the CR studies. It is nice to know about the initial quality of a car, and how it holds up in the first year, as JDP reports. However, I am more interested in how a car will hold up over the ensuing 3, 5, or 7 years–as documented in the CR studies.

However, I do question another of Wha Who’s points:
“Consumer Reports, in my view, concentrates too much on minutiae and they never asked me what I think

In the next sentence, WW seems to imply that he is not a subscriber, and that he only occasionally looks at an issue of CR on the newsstand. If that is the case, how would they “ask you” about your car, since they have no idea of the name or address of the people who peruse their magazines for free.

I can tell you that CR subscribers receive a fairly complex survey once each year, asking that you give information on your car(s) including make, model, engine type, transmission type, odometer mileage, and a reporting of any repairs made over the preceding year that one considers to be “serious”.

“Also, the 2009 Powers survey involves defects per car to date and 2009 is not even a year old. They went off prematurely.”

The dependability study is for cars that are 3 years old. By the time the results are analyzed, the 2009 study releases the results for the 2005 model year. And JD Power was way ahead of CR when they announced the big improvement in Buick dependability. Few question Buick as a reliable car now.

“How about saying that Buick is more dependable than any other brand of car on the planet excepting Jaguar.”

That’s no fun at all, you old stick-in-the-mud. :wink:

“When CR rates a car’s projected reliability highly, it usually pans out. You can’t really say the same for JD Power.”

Substantiate that claim.

“Let’s see…revenue from the corporations that seek to use the data and not from the consumer who seeks to use the product.”

The Lexus LS430 was the most reliable model in the entire study. How much did Toyota pay for that?

“The Lexus LS430 was the most reliable model in the entire study. How much did Toyota pay for that?”

No one says the occasional proper recommendation isn’t made…the question is for me is, can I trust them to be impartial overall given their financial support ? I can’t.

[b]“When CR rates a car’s projected reliability highly, it usually pans out. You can’t really say the same for JD Power.”

“Substantiate that claim.”[/b]

Easily…CR claims that Toyota has been among the most reliable vehicles made in the last twenty years and projects the same for future models . In publication after publication, GM and Ford have used Toyota as “their” bench mark in their advertisements as well as having their CEOs stating that position as well. The American public has agreed with their pocket book including the high resale value of Toys. compared to comparable GM/Ford products.
Case Closed in my opinion.

My opinion of CR is not the same as JD Power for the stated reasons.
In general I have always felt that I am a fool to trust CR exclusively on the major purchases like autos, but I’m equally a fool to disregard their advise and not use it at all in my decision making. I can’t say the same for JD…

You didn’t substantiate your claim. You said that if everybody believes it, it must be true. Industry experts have said for a long time that GM and Ford quality has improved dramatically in recent years. The problem is perception. And there is no problem using Toyota as a benchmark. They build an excellent car. Buick states publicly that they use Lexus as their benchmark, and should continue to do so. But that doesn’t mean Buick quality is less than Lexus. Shockingly, Jaguar seems to have joined the fold, too.

I can’t trust CR. I have a 1998 Buick Regal LS. Around 2001, I checked used car reliability in CR. They said my Regal was below average. Yet, all the little circle thingies were solid or half red. Toyota Camry and Honda Accord did not have nearly as bright a display. Doesn’t CR believe their own ratings?

I feel that Jaguar would be a welcome addition to the fold if the are reliable over a 8 to 10 year period. No one that I know has publicized that claim yet. For someone who can afford to trade cars yearly, maybe a Jag is worth considering…provided you have access to service ( another problem).

Of course, GM and Ford have improved, but the market and CR through their surveys, still feel that Toyota has too and remains the choice for longevity.

BTW, I would argue that, if EVERYONE does believe something, it is true. Everyone in their “right automotive mind” believes that in general Toyota products with very few exceptions, can be trusted to equal or exceed the reliability of the of the majority of the rest of the major auto manufactures. The same has NOT be said for Jaguar by ANY publication other than in Jaguar’s own advertisements. All test results and surveys are subject to interpretation and conclusions comes down to reputation, trust and belief. CR has my trust, though not without reservation, JD does not.

I have done some searches, and, unfortunately, JD Power doesn’t keep its reliability ratings from years past on its web site, probably to prevent this very type of comparison. I just remember in years past seeing reliability ratings and initial quality ratings from JD Power that didn’t pan out to be accurate. If you don’t want to take my word for it, save the current list and every year or so, see how their ratings pan out for yourself.

Examples of JD Powers “bogus” recommendations: Porsche highly rated… as a previous owner of a Boxster and 911, I can say “no” to reliability for these cars… fun? Yes. Reliable? No… constant, expensive maintenance.

Another “good” car according to Powers: Cadillac. My dad has owned SEVEN Caddys… ALL of them had maintenance issues… NOT a well-made car… nice inside, awesome ride, but reliability is NOT their forte!

Another bogus recommendation from J.D. Powers: Hyundai… my daughter’s Hyundai was poorly made, constantly had electrical problems, and when it was (thankfully) totaled in an accident, the airbags didn’t deploy!

Oh, and let’s not forget Mercedes! Powers gives top rating to Mercedes products. The reality: my buddy’s brand-new C-class… constantly in the shop!

What I like about CR is that they survey ACTUAL OWNERS, many, many owners, over several years, to get a realistic overview of a vehicle’s reliability. Also, let’s face it: if you take advertising money, you will NOT criticize your “bosses”… never bite the hand that feeds you! Since CR doesn’t take corporate bribe (nee advertising) they are far more objective than the car mags… this is just a reality check, folks.

If you are a regular reader of CR, you will notice that CR has stated, repeatedly, that both Ford and GM have increased their quality.