The customers that shops deal with

You are probably right. I’ve never really known what it stands for exactly.

There is fraud going on with the CRV system.

Several Nevada residents have told me that they take a load of aluminum cans to California each time they visit family in CA to take advantage of the “higher rate”. They don’t seem to understand or are not willing to acknowledge that they did not pay the redemption value fee when they bought the beverage, lots of bad customers out there.

But how many Californians just discard those crv bottles and never collect the redemption? And who keeps the money then?

I save them, until it’s worth a trip to turn them in for cash . . . takes awhile, though. If I’m going to be waiting in line, it’d better be worth my while

Many of my neighbors just dump all of their crv cans, bottles, etc. in the regular trash. There are guys coming by regularly, digging through the trash cans left outside, fishing for stuff they can turn in for cash. Thankfully, they’re respectful and don’t make a mess, though

near our shop, there is a city recycling yard. And there are guys who bring in truckloads of metal, cardboard, etc., whatever it takes to get by, I suppose. Considering how dilapidated their trucks look, it would appear their business model doesn’t allow for them to get rich. But I kind of admire scrappers, because they “do what they gotta do” to put food on the table. That said, I’m not sure I’d want to be in their shoes when they’re no longer able to work, for whatever reason. It’s quite possible their “golden years” won’t be very pleasant, from a financial standpoint, anyways

Geez, who knew this was still going on. When I was a kid, bottles had a return value of about 5 cents. So that’s how we’d make money by going around picking up bottles and returning them to the store. We’d usually have a wagon full for a couple bucks a kid.

I found out that in California the State manages the fund that holds deposit money and if it’s not reclaimed the cash goes to the State General Fund for environmental uses.

Forget bottles and cans! Gentlemen, this is how you sell scrap metal!

1 Like

And probably an equal number in the trash or alongside the road. If they need the money that bad I will give them a pass.

I wonder if the citizens of California are as forgiving about the recycling and litter cleanup money being diverted to a different state, might only be $1,000 per day.

My neighbor told me his friend collected a garage stall full of plastic bottles, then rented a moving truck to take them to California. I questioned if there could have been any profit from that considering the cost of fuel to drive a truck 275 miles, seems that there is more money in bottles than I can imagine.

MA has a deposit, NH doesn’t. If you take a NH bottle to a MA redemption center, it gets rejected. They can tell the origin from the bar code. If the label is missing, it also gets rejected. Can’t believe CA doesn’t do something similar to prevent fraud.

BTW, the MA fund is quite lucrative. Most people are too lazy to go to the trouble of returning bottles to redemption centers and so the general fund benefits…

Some of us are old enough to remember when soft drinks were sold in returnable “recyclable” glass bottles and there were bottling companies scattered all over the country. In my small home town of less than 15,000 in 1960 there were 4 bottling companies operating with trucks delivering the products and picking up empty bottles for refilling. How have we PROGRESSED by moving to plastic bottles?

1 Like

Saves weight for transporting, less broken stock…truly, though, I prefer soda out of a glass bottle. I think it tastes better.

1 Like

I agree with the taste aspect, even more so with beer.
Another improvement comes in sterilization. Many rules now regarding no human contact during processing. Glass bottles are sterilized using some nasty chemicals which has residual effects. “Plastic” can be sterilized using UV or plasma discharge and is done before the blow molding process even occurs. Glass bottles are manufactured at a separate facility, packaged, shipped to the bottler, unpackaged, sterilized and finally filled. Modern process; the plastic pre-forms arrive and are blow-molded on site prior to being filled. Much more efficient.

2 Likes

I wonder what the cost of this will be

and who will pay for it?

And I enjoy my beer from a bottle much more than a can. I rarely drink sodas though.

This is a Seinfeld episode in real life!

2 Likes

Humans have been irresponsible with the environment since the dawn of the industrial revolution. Glass, oil, plastic, doesn’t matter. Even a dog won’t poop in it’s bed…

Agreed, beer probably more than anything else tastes so much better in a bottle than a can!

1 Like

Next you’ll talk about plastic straws instead of the paper ones we used to get. Back to cars folks unless you have your beer in your car.

Back in the ‘60s, a local NY beer–Piels–advertised that their beer tasted better than their competitors’ brews because Piels used aluminum cans, and their competitors used steel cans.
:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

That used to be called a road soda back in the day where I grew up.