The crash-proof car?

"Massive pile up" "no one was killed"
Those freek’n federal mandates. They’re “killing” the mortuary business.

Fear not, dag, their only postponing the business, not eliminating it. Everyone’s gonna die eventually.

You think ? Some don’t seem to “drive like it”. Postponing business means not being able to make payments. They don’t postpone your “bills”. It’s a business and it’s “good for business” to have occasional unfortunate casualties ( accidents) as sinister as it seems. I have several good friends over the years in the business one a real close golfing buddy another we socialize with regulary now. They all agree; long drawn out life spans are not good for business. One told me he was able to take an unanticipated cruise when business picked up. A strange business…but then…what isn’t. The “hedge” fund for morticians is prepayment. Everyone is happy. They get the money and you get to stay alive…for a while. I prepaid, then I drive carefully and am thankful for airbags, head rests that stupid seatbelt.

All true… but while safer cars negatively affect the revenue stream of today’s morticians, they provide revenue for the next generation’s morticians… the children of today’s morticians.

I didn’t prepay. I’m goin’ in the oven as inexpensively as possible. No wake, no funeral, just here today, baked tomorrow. It’s a personal choice. The people that care about me call on me while I’m alive, when it counts. People who don’t call me now have no business peering over my body when I’m dead and pretending to grieve. They’ve already said goodbye.

You can prepay to be roasted too. Planning ones funeral is a wonderful gift to those left behind. You never know who might run a red light in a HUMVEE.

@MikeInNH:

I’d be really impressed with a self-driver that could do that. I have my doubts, though, that a computer-driven car would interpret a basketball bouncing across the road as anything other than “small object, in path of car, expected to be no factor by the time we get there.” Maybe, it’s smart enough to distinguish between “basketball-like” objects and “bowlingball-like.”

I don’t see ANYONE touting their self-driving car’s ability to anticipate conditions, only to brag about how well they react to them. I don’t have much faith in a self-driving car performing the “executive decision-making” driving duties well, because (among other reasons) most of the tech-geeks in charge don’t seem to see “captaincy decisions” as all that important.

I’d love to be proven wrong, though!

I'd be really impressed with a self-driver that could do that. I have my doubts

They have robotics that can see…and can distinguish between many different objects. Even facial recognition that can tell if you’re happy or sad. It doesn’t think the say you or I do…instead it processes thousands (or millions depending on the speed of the computer used).

I’m not advocating that they are there yet…But I think it will happen…the road to get there may be very bumpy though.