The best all purpose cheap car?

Why thank you satificer. i agree that zipcar is actually a great service for large cities and has worked for me a lot this past year. I wouldn’t purchase a car until I could pay for it with cash and have some wiggle room. I would be parking it on the street, insuring it in Brooklyn. Not sure of taxes and registration around here.

To MG McAnick - The world of crown vics and town cars is pretty amazing. People are listing them for 2k with 300k miles here in Brooklyn! The ads all point to buyers who will use the cars to make money. I have always wanted a crown vic or interceptor.

I appreciate the discussion and I’m glad that fellow car people out there agree. Since this is gonna be a budget car in a harsh environment, it’s gonna be ex police car or caravan. Picking one up outside the rustbelt is an adventure in it’s own right, so I will do that first. Excited for summer.

As a Crown Vic owner, you can get a lot of stuff in that car. They have problem areas but they ride nice on longer trips and fit 6 people when you need it. At least our front bench does. I picked up this 95 Crown with only 98Kmiles on the clock in Alabama. no rust anywhere…

My uncle bought a Crown Vic a few months ago and he loves it,his gas mileage figures suprise the heck out of me.On Myth Busters trying to yank the 3rd member out from under an ex-cop Crown Vic(trying to emulate the"American Graffiti" stunt where a bunch of immature kids sabotage a 62 Ford I believe it was(would have been a lot easier on a 62 Ford anyway) anyway the Crown Vic was so robust it took some doing to yank the Differential out from under it.A well built car ,sadly missed-Kevin