New Car

Hey Guys,

We’ve just sold out 2002 Subaru Outback Limited (with over 100K miles, we wanted to get something newer). We looked at the new Outback (which got bigger in every direction), and read reviews about shaky steering at highway speeds (!?)…and wanted to ask you what you would suggest?

We are a family of three, with a 6 year old Daughter. We live in Brooklyn, and only drive on the weekends (4K miles per year).

We tend to buy cars that are a couple years old, since we don’t put on a lot of miles, and keep them for 5-6 years.

We’ve want a smallish car with good mileage, but like comforts.

We looked at a 2007 BMW X3, but read several bad reviews about it’s reliability. We also considered the Honda CR-V with leather and Navigation (as I said, we like comforts).

We looked at the 2007 Acura RDX…but the gas mileage was pretty low.

Would like to know your thoughts!

Buy A Ford Or GM Product.

CSA

I’d like to, but there’s really little that either make that fits what we’re looking for.
A small, high mileage AWD wagon with nice finish.

“We live in Brooklyn, and only drive on the weekends (4K miles per year).”

If so, than renting a car every weekend when you need it would be the best option. You get to drive a new car all the time and don’t deal with maintenance issues, depreciation, parking, insurance or repairs. Plus you get your choice of vehicle every time you rent – sedan, SUV, pickup, etc. If I lived in NYC it’s what I’d do.

Twotone

There’s the Escape Hybrid, which is small, gets the best mileage of any SUV and can be had with most amminties one can think of. It would be ideal for driving around town since that’s where it gets it’s best mileage.

I have to agree with that. renting a car every weekend when you need it would be the best option.

Nice finish = heavy and low mileage in general. You need a diesel to pull the excess. I’d look at Audi A3 or VW Rabbit. Both of which offer TDI.

If you would compromise on the luxury, since you were looking at a CR-V, the Nissan Versa is worth a look. It has hard plastic in places, but it is padded where it counts and check out the huge backseat.

What about a Mercedes Benz E350 wagon? You will only put 24,000 , miles on it at most when you sell it. Just about anything (except a Land Rover) will be fine from a reliability standpoint. I also wouldn’t worry abut gas mileage. If you drive 4000 miles each year and gas cost $3/gallon, you will only save $200 per year (less than $4/weekend) on gas. If you look at larger vehicles, you can get a 2008/2009 Buick Enclave CXL for about the same price as a 2007 E350 wagon. That would also put the RDX back into contention.

Regarding comforts, anything that keeps you out of the rain is comfortable. If you want real comfort, get a small motorhome. You will then learn what most car drivers, airplane, bus and train travelers don’t know about comfort. With a small motorhome you can take break from driving if you have a co-driver. Then you can use the bathroom, take a nap, get a snack and a drink from the fridge, and walk around to get limbered up from sitting. You are very safe in a motorhome and have a high perch that lets you look over the top of most traffic. When you are tired, you can stop at a roadside rest stop or a truck stop for a nap. Just lock the doors and keep old Betsy, the 12 gauge handy although that is not necessary in most parts of the US.

I am not just kidding you. We have a $35,000 car with all of the trimmings, a $15,000 car and a very old car. I like them all but miss our small motorhome for true traveling comfort. A small motorhome can park where many cars will fit.

If you go only a few miles per year, then the gas mileage may not be important.

Do you have any idea what a pain a motor home of any size would be in Brooklyn? First you have to find a place you can park it. Then you have to find a way to keep the thieves away from the electronics.

A used upper level Corolla with a few bells and whistles. The CRV is another excellent choice too in either 2 or awd.

The Fusion is also very nice, although it is not a wagon or SUV. There is an AWD version which is very nicely appointed, and also a hybrid version.

"We live in Brooklyn, and only drive on the weekends (4K miles per year). "

That being the case, why do you waste a ton of money driving 4WD vehicles?? Have you ever thought of putting that money in the bank and retiring at 50 instead of 65 or 70??

Jon doesn’t drive the car in NYC, he drives it out of NYC. Unless it’s to NJ, it’s Upstate NY. It is possible that he might need it for winter trips to the Adirondacs.

It may make sense to own a car in NYC if it is used almost every weekend. But only if it can be parked free. When I graduated from college, I looked at a job in Manhattan. The cost to park my car would have been as much as renting a studio apartment. Had I taken that job, I could have sold the car, taken a taxi everywhere, and still made saved money.

I agree with some of the other posts, you don’t drive enough to justify owning a car.
Take a taxi around town, and rent for out-of-town. That said, you drive so little that “reliability” (whatever that really means) shouldn’t really be a consideration either.

This is the best option and i agree with his opinion. :wink:

“That being the case, why do you waste a ton of money driving 4WD vehicles?? Have you ever thought of putting that money in the bank and retiring at 50 instead of 65 or 70??”

My man, do you mean I could have retired years ago by not buying 4wd vehicles; :=) if it meant moving somewhere else in town and spending our days at the mall instead of the years sailing, swimming and skiing on “our” lake ? I agree…they are a big waste of money if you don’t need one… esp. in Brooklyn.