That's a BIG engine!

-looks at pics-

Yeah, but does it have VTEC?

:wink:

And people actually built something like that. Astonishing!

You should see the dipstick

It reminds me of the line by Scorpio when Callahan from Dirty Harry pulls out his .44 to show the killer. “my, that’s a big one”.

Should we be looking for an American worker anywhere. It’s sad to think that the .44 will be one of the last items Americans made “one of the biggest” of any thing. War goods and guns!

dagosa 6:56AM

“Should we be looking for an American worker anywhere. It’s sad to think that the .44 will be one of the last items Americans made “one of the biggest” of any thing. War goods and guns!”

The .44 magnum (actually a .429 caliber) was a big pistol back in the days when a 883 cc Harley Davidson was a “big motorcycle”. They have both been eclipsed by much bigger things built for a market that sees big not as a means to an end but as an end to itself.
When I see a 1800 cc motorcycle that weighs nearly 800 pounds and only gets about 35 mpg, I think “that totally misses the point of a motorcycle”.
When I see a S&W .500 Magnum on display, a huge horse-pistol that weighs over 5 pounds and because of the size of the bullets and the strength needed for the pressures it generates, is only a 5-shooter, I think “that completely misses the point of a handgun”. In other words, it’s a useless novelty.

“a market that sees big not as a means to an end but as an end to itself”

More examples:
Pocket cameras with 14 megapixels. Large files to store images from tiny, slow, soft zoom lenses.

The Russians, with their Tsar bell, Tsar tank, Tsar cannon, Tsar bomba. All so huge and useless.

“BLE” Don’t get me wrong, but the .44 magnum does have a practical use as an excellent hunting weapon and a genuine American icon, if not in reality than at least in perception. I have a good friend who would think twice about about not having one hiking in grizzly country
not that it would do little more than pee him off. But, to your point, like those that are bigger that followed, practical police weapon it isn’t.

dagosa July 31 “BLE” Don’t get me wrong, but the .44 magnum does have a practical use as an excellent hunting weapon "

Also, it’s not a bad rifle round. An 1894 Winchester chambered for .44 mag is not at all unpleasant to shoot, kicking and sounding a lot like a .410 shotgun.

“
not that it would do little more than pee him off.”

You don’t want to do that. Did you read about the first encounter the Lewis and Clark Expedition had with a brown bear? After reaching the headwaters of the Missouri River, they set out on foot. The locals cautioned them that if they encountered a brown bear to make a big detour around it. But they had powerful rifles and laughed it off. After parting ways with their new friends, the party did meet a brown bear. It was in their way, and they decided to shoot it. Then it charged, and they shot it again repeatedly. It finally fell just short of them and it took several more shots at point blank range to kill it. After that, Lewis and Clark made a big detour when they met a grizzly.

I had a contractor working for me while during break, relate a similar hunting story. While deer hunting with a 30.06, an acknowledge outstanding mid game hunting round, he found himself between a moderately sized mother black bear and a cub. A 50 yard charge ensued with the hunter hitting the mother with all five hollow point rounds from his scoped semi auto. Every round hit it’s mark yet the bear came to rest only feet from the hunter. He had pictures to show me indicating most of the wounds, any of which would have easily stopped a human.

The hunter learned new respect for wildlife and told me he will be taking this next year off.
He said he will always be thankful to his uncle who insisted to he and others, that you should arm yourself for the most powerful game you are likely to encounter, even if it 's not your intended hunt.

I don’t know what that means for rabbit hunters in bear country, but it does imply that most common pistol rounds are useless for the task.

Old news reels of African big game hunts often included the guide dropping a charging lion or elephant with one shot from an ‘express’ rifle, usually a Weatherby I believe. Of course, like movies and television, the producer wanted as much drama as possible so who knows what was real and what was staged.

Is that a one piece crankshaft?

Fellas, I think we’re getting a little off-topic here.

Yeah it is, but I’ve been enjoying it. How about that girl from the US Olympic ski team that punched out a black bear?

Note that the factory where the engine was built was in Korea. My daughter was at the Daewoo Shipyard outside Bosan a couple of months ago. Their capacity is unbelievable. Fifty years after the US saved their butts, they’re building the ships US workers should be building.

Caddyman, I’ll bet that the one in the photo gets disassembled and reassembled into the ship, just as the huge earth movers used in strip mining get assembled and tested at the factory, then shipped in subassembies to the site and reassembled there.

90 feet long? That’s longer than most whole BOATS!!!

I would have thought that they laid those engines on the keel and built the boats around them. Like they do the heater cores on T-Birds.

it would be interesting to see what happens to it. Whether it’s torn down and rebuilt or the ship is built around it.