Porsche's newly-patented SIX STROKE engine

I would hate to imagine how much it would cost to repair one of these engines with their varying-length stroke.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine it having any recalls or warranty issues at all… Should be very dependable from day one… :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Friend had a newer Infiniti with VC motor. I wasn’t keen on technology but he said he had platinum warranty. Just sold it and got a new Mercedes. So much for warranty.

My head hurts, but then I still cannot comprehend how a WW I radial aircraft engine works☹️

Well, they were ‘rotary’ engines, not just ‘radial’. The engine spun with the prop, resulting in huge gyroscopic forces that made the airplane a handful to fly. More here:
Rotary engine - Wikipedia

My WAG is that we’ll see the six stroke in racing engines first, unless they are against the rules. Cost isn’t the most important issue of the engine.

But I’m guessing this is for emissions, not power, so racing might be out.

I think the 6 stroke patent may be a “red herring”. The real innovation may be the crankshaft mechanism. It may be a mechanical solution to the Atkinson cycle engine problem… a longer power stroke with a shorter intake stroke. This is currently done with cam timing but may be more efficient with this crank system.

1 Like

I wonder if this concept will be as “successful” as Mazda’s Miller Cycle engines were.

2 Likes

Or Nissan/Inifiniti’s variable compression engine, which doesn’t seem better than competitor’s turbo 2.0 L engines in spite of its complexity.

I never understood why this complex design was chosen. SAAB did one of these as well with similar lack of success. With electronic controls, a turbocharged engine can accomplish very similar results by controlling the boost.

My old turbo SAAB had a very flat torque curve - actually 2 torque peaks - controlled by the ECU. It cranked in boost at very low RPM and then bled some off boost in the midrange RPMs and let it come back at higher RPM. Made the boost curve look like a big 'dip" but made the flat torque curve. I haven’t collected date on the Audi, but I’d bet it does similar things.

Wouldn’t surprise me if friend got a “luxury” repair bill that the “platinum” warranty didn’t cover.

Seems like that happens more often than not. Hmm.

1 Like

Two, aware of those, have a model of a rotary in a WW I biplane, arg, cannot remember the manufacturer,Spad(?), maybe French.
Those especially make me wonder how they were carbureted.
As noted before, flew in a Ford, three radial engines.

BTW, my comment was facetious.

Could it be an Anzani engine?

Wowser, quite advanced for 1913. To my knowledge, WWI fighters only used single row radials.
Found it: Nieuport 11 biplane

To bring it back to cars, some WWI AC were powered by OHC engines. Yet for the most part, with a few notable exceptions, American cars were powered by flatheads until Olds/Caddy OHV V8 in 49, Studebaker OHV V8 in 51. I need not go on, most of you know the development of automotive engines.

1 Like

Yup!
Buick actually led the way–in 1903–but other manufacturers were slow to follow them.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a7931/buicks-111-birthday/

1 Like

Imagine my surprise at seeing an overly complex mechanical design of German origin…

:grinning:

2 Likes

To paraphrase the Captain Renault character in Casablanca…
I’m shocked!

Claude Rains was really good in that role.

2 Likes

Likely the most advanced aircraft engine from WW1 would be the Hispano Suiza water-cooled, overhead cam V8. Designed by a Swiss engineer and built in Spain as well as in the US under license. All aluminum block/head. The head wasn’t separate from the bores so no head gasket worries. The crankcase was magnesium, I think.

One of the reasons the SPAD was so successful.

1 Like