Tesla's new Model 3 will be unveiled shortly

It’s semantics. If I have to put money down and sign a purchase and sales agreement, in my mind that means I bought it. If I only have to enter a nonbinding order with no monetary exchange, to my mind I reserved it.

Sort of like buying a part. If the parts guy says they have three left and I have him reserve one in my name to pick up on Saturday, it’s a reserved part. If I have to put money down and sign a contract to purchase, I bought it.

In defense, I have ordered cars and its usually $100 or $500 down when you write up the order and the balance 2-4 months later when the car comes in. No big deal. I wouldn’t want to pay for the whole thing upfront though.

Range anxiety doesnt bother me as much now after owning ,what " currently "drive.(no pun intended ,thought I would "Amp up " the discussion a bit ". Watts "the matter dont believe me ?Lets put it too a " volt ". “Ohm” my goodness. ,I will stop now . before someone "charges " me with bad punnery and the impersonation of a human being .

It might take a year, it might take two before they start making them.

And that’s right on par with newly designed vehicles from the Big-3. I’ve seen cars from the Big-3 at the New England auto show that weren’t available until 2-4 years later…if at all.

Kevin, you are hereby found guilty of “bad punnery”. :lol:

Thank you .I guess I will "dielectric " .

Interestingly they had a picture in the Minneapolis paper showing the people lined up to put their $1000 down on one at the TESLA DEALER. I thought they didn’t have any dealers. At any rate, I didn’t read all the comments but most that I did read thought it was a little foolish.

Yes, people in Pasadena have lined up more than 30 hours to put a deposit on this car. One person was saying he cut his vacation to Europe short to come back and wait in line.

I think I should post the above in the thread about the Mitsu Mirage :smiley:

I drive by one of the Tesla dealers once a week, but always at night. It’s in a pretty fancy area

Agreed, semantics. If the car isn’t available to deliver is it really “on sale”? Cash Paid in Full = sold, partial or total refundable deposit = reserved.

Much like “if a tree falls in the wood does it really make a sound”?

Tesla can take deposits on the car or they can accept “paid in full” but if my car is promised by April 5, 2017 and it doesn’t arrive until August, it is “late.” We won’t actually know if it is “late” until the first promise date is missed.

Interesting looking car. I like the rear, and the side profile, and most of the front. The weird “there’s a grille under this cover trying to escape” look right on the nose doesn’t do it for me.

And I dislike the interior. I don’t like this new trend in “hip” cars like the i3/etc where they just stick rectangular display screens in seemingly random places. The display in the Model 3 looks like someone duct-taped an iPad to the dash. The S/X have much better interior design.

Yeah I just saw it and that front end leaves me hanging. It reminds me of someone having their eyes sewn shut. Why the flat part on the front? Why not just give it a clean bumper if they can’t put a grill or some kind of adornment on the front. Not to be too harsh for all the Tesla lovers but like I said they really need to update their styling. They are looking all the same and after so many years, its just time for a change.

Even before Tesla unveiled its new Model 3 on Thursday night, more than 115,000 people had already paid $1,000 to reserve one of the highly-anticipated electric cars

Not much different than seeing a used car by a private seller and giving them a deposit to hold the car until you return with the balance of the proceeds. Most people would even refund it if you showed up and said you changed your mind, couldn’t get the cash, etc.

There was way too much unknown about the car, not the least of which was the eventual sales price, for any sane person to sign a binding contract…