Tesla + Honda Generator on a trailer = 1,000 mile range?

Jtsanders

You should be getting ready for the Ravans game

Great point @americar…smog belching generator powering a Tesla …what a contradiction and only you saw it…my hero !!!

I thought the OP was asking a theoretical question - e.g. can it be done, in spite of the fact that it would defeat the efficiency of the electric vehicle.

@pashaw01 The Volt may not be as sexy as a Tesla, but it probably is sexier than a Tesla towing a trailer with a generator strapped to it and an extension cord running between the two.

I had time before the game to eat a bowl of Mrs JTs excellent chili and still make it into the Man Cave for the kick off. A glorious night!

My generator burns more gas per hour than your car, 3400 watt.

“The Volt may not be as sexy as a Tesla, but it probably is sexier than a Tesla towing a trailer with a generator strapped to it and an extension cord running between the two.”

A redneck electric car! How many teeth does the driver have? Is that his niece riding with him or his wife? Or both? You may think that’s a generator, but it’s really a still.

My apologies to Jeff Foxworthy. I love his You Might Be a Redneck series. The thing I like best is that there are several jokes that fit everyone to a T. Different descriptions for different people, but we’re all Bozos on the same bus, um, rednecks.

It sounds like the making for a Duck Dynasty episode

The redneck Tesla will be the one with the jacked up suspension and off-road tires, and with the um… dangling accessories from the trailer hitch…

And how much energy do you think it will take to drag that trailer?

Tesla has engineered a beautifully low drag exterior and rolling stock, along with an ingeniously efficient power source and power trai to get energy use to an absolute minimum. Is it your theory that adding a Honda generator on a trailer to the rear of it will result in a more efficient system overall?

Bottom line: the only way to make the vehicle travel longer is to creat a more efficient system overall. Adding a trailer pulling a generator won’t do this. Yours is an interesting brain exercise, but the bottom line is that if you add weight, aerodynamic resistance, and rolling resistance to an existing design it must use more energy to go the same distance at the same speed. Them’s the laws of pysics.

How’s this any different than a Prius with an extra 20 gallon tank in the trunk? Except the Prius would be easy to do, in comparison.

“The Volt is not as sexy as the Tesla though, but much more practical.”

If only these were body-on-frame cars, then you could put the Tesla skin on a Volt chassis.

To all those ready to explain the problems with this idea: I’m just kidding.
(some folks here don’t recognize humor)

I can’t comment because I’ve long been a Tesla enthusiast. I truely believe that those guys have pushed the boundaries of electric power beyond what’s been thought possible by the development of new technologies and new approaches to old technologies. Their solution to localized heat in the lithium ion matrices and to that localized heat damaging surrounding cells, for example, is totally different than any that’s been tried before. And they were the first to make an EV actually desirable. I believe they’ve actually also broken the barrier to making an EV practiical as a daily driver. Automobile magazine has a good article about their testing of a Tesla S, and it was very impressive. They drove the car hard all day and still didn’t run out of juice. The car itself was a luxury vehicle worthy of purchasing even if it had a traditional motor.

“If only these were body-on-frame cars, then you could put the Tesla skin on a Volt chassis.”

Great idea ! Oh, you were just kidding. Tolt or Veslar ?