Temp Gauge coming down while driving (Camry 2007 2.4L) (Thermostat replaced)

Hello there,
I hope you all are doing well.

I’ve just bought a used Toyota Camry 2007 (V4_2.4L) and I noticed that while I am driving the temp gauge starts going down, giving an indication of the engine not being fixed in the correct operating temperature and once I stop, the temp gauge starts going up and reaches the correct operating temperature (a bit lower than the middle).

I assumed that it would be due to a faulty thermostat that stays open and does not let the engine to stay warm while driving, then I replaced the thermostat but it didn’t help and the problem still persists.

I am writing to ask if any of you have encountered the same problem and may provide me with probable fixes for it.

Thanks

Your diagnosis seems correct. Cooling while driving indicates a stuck open thermostat.

I’d suggest either you installed the t-stat backwards or you got a bad one right out of the box. Both happen.

I would also look at the coolant temp sensor data with a scanner before changing any more parts.
It’s possible the actual temp is not falling and it’s an issue with the gauge.

3 Likes

Make sure the radiator cooling fan(s) aren’t operating while the car is being driven down the road.

Tester

1 Like