Teenage boy doesn't know how to put air into a tire

I think I’ve had one in the past twenty years, and that was with my car in the driveway. Of course I’m talking cars; bicycles still get flats. A few years ago I changed to Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires and I’ve only had about five flats in the past 10,000 miles. Huh? Oh yeah, this is a car forum. OK.

Forty+ years ago, I thought my wife should learn how to change a tire, as she sometimes drove into remote locations. But eventually I realized how much less common flats were even by then compared with my childhood. Figured it was more important safety-wise for her to learn how to check the fluids.

She never learned that either.

Edward

1 Like

I always check the eggs. I open the carton and wiggle each one to make sure none are broken. If even one is stuck to the cardboard, I put it back. I also check bags of produce and the strawberries for fuzz in the containers.

3 Likes

My last flat I needed a tow to the tire shop. Hit a sewer grate in dip in the side of the street that caused both of my passenger side rims to puncture the inner sidewalls when it bounced over the hole(I was doing maybe 30-35mph). This was probably 5 or 6 years ago. Time before that was a leak in the rim that caused my tire to go flat in my old Civic- I needed to replace with all new rims as the ones I had were rusting. That was over 10 years ago

Just for added fun, the tire shop says 90% of tire repairs are for the rear passenger tire. Crap on the side of road, front tire kicks up the debris and the rear tire collects it. I have had front tire issues but most of mine have in fact been the right rear. If you only have time to check one, check that one. Also I hate to drive on those roads with no shoulder like the two lanes that have been turned into four lanes. So if you are in the right lane you are pretty close to the curb and gutter where all the junk is.

1 Like

Yes one flat tire was on a wide boat trailer, running at least the white lne on the right side of the road if not creeping a bit over. road debris I imagine.

This reminds me of a thread several years ago. The OP was concerned she mind put too much air in her tires from a coin operated pump at a convenience store. She got a myriad of replies, several included recommendations to buy a compressor,.
Her fear was causing the car tire to explode. If you have ever used one of those coin operated pumps you will find it takes many quarters just to get a tire up to 32 PSI.