Teenage boy doesn't know how to put air into a tire

I could understand a teenager not knowing how to change a flat tire. But not knowing how to inflate a tire? Excellent comments above. I’ll add another theory: Parents don’t want to encourage their kids to do manual labor; they feel manual labor jobs are beneath their station in life, and worse, might encourage a kid to find a manual labor job instead of a physician, lawyer, or engineer. Why? With a manual labor they won’t be able to financially support themselves, and may end up one of the country’s homeless population. There’s a certain amount of logic in that way of thinking I guess. Although it certainly doesn’t seem like it would apply to jobs like auto mechanic, plumber, electrician, construction etc. Those seem like pretty good paying jobs.

I’ve got a friend from Egypt that grew up in a privileged family. They had servants for everything and consequently I have to help him with much of anything mechanical. That I understand but normal kids not so much.

I just don’t ever remember a time when me or any of the neighbors had trouble figuring out how to use a bike pump. Going to the gas station with a compressor was pure luxury. I have no answers but shame on the parents.

1 Like

I am old enough to not know how kids learn to drive nowadays or what age the different states have for getting a learners permit here you can get a learners permit at 15 and the drivers license at 16.One of my pet peeves is ( and I don’t know how long ago it was started ) but it has been that way for quite some time now I don’t know about other states but here there is a sticker on the gas pumps must be 18 to operate to me putting gas in and checking the fluids and checking the air in the tires should be what do they do between 16 and 18 get an adult to go with them whenever they need gas?

1 Like

Also that sticker is 99%ignored.

1 Like

I have never seen that. but then again I never really looked for it.

I was a little concerned when my niece’s kid started driving at 14 in South Dakota. Thought it was a little young and he was not really mechanical.

1 Like

Like I said I don’t know if other states have it or not but we do here I just filled up today and noticed it.

1 Like

I don’t remember for sure but it seems to me back in the 60s in New Mexico kids could get their drivers license at 14.

That would also concern me.
Because of the nationwide shortage of truck drivers, there is currently a proposal to lower the age for driving 18-wheelers so that 18 year olds could qualify. Even at the age of 18, I’m not sure that there are a lot of adolescents with sufficient maturity–and driving experience–to handle a really big rig.
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

most teens can’t balance a checkbook, write a letter (let alone write a sentence by hand), and a few other things that us before the internet age had to learn.

1 Like

the other thing is communication. I’m more of an introvert but I do chat it up some. When I meet a new kiosk attendant at the nature preserve, I talk and ask questions and they (mostly women around teens to 20’s) just look at me and say yes and have a good day. They don’t know how to respond, talk, carry on a conversation.

1 Like

They might have spent more time with you, but that handsome young man behind you was much more interesting. :wink:

What’s a checkbook?

My son will likely never write a check (I think we might write one every month or two in our household, but that’s only when we don’t have cash on hand) yet he has great money management skills for a 14 year old. One night we were cleaning up after dinner and I said “OK, everyone in the car. We are going out for ice cream.” He replied “Can I stay home and have $5 instead?”

3 Likes

On the other hand, I used cash last week for the first time in several months. With the exception of the car wash, every business that I patronize takes credit cards, which are my preferred mode for payment. I write a few checks each month for charitable contributions, plus one for my lawn service.

Exactly. When I first entered the working world some 50 years ago I’d write a few thousand checks a year. I do still have a checkbook, but it’s so rarely used. Maybe 4-5 checks a year. Most places these days won’t even accept checks.

I really don’t like getting behind someone at the grocery store writing a check . It seems they never have it out before the total is ready , then they have to fumble around recording it the check book .

Most places I can just wave my Discover card and be on my way . Plus I get any where from 300.00 to 500.00 a year cash back .

I usually carry $2-300 in cash, two debit cards, two credit cards, and I have four checking accounts. I don’t write many checks and use debit cards mostly and never credit cards. For small purchases I use cash or when I want to remain unknown. We learned how to write checks in high school and I had to teach the wife how to properly fill out a check. Her folks would just use counter checks that the retailer would fill out.

As far as the original question, it jogged my memory. In Cub Scouts we had a weekly meeting and would try to do fun things as well as provide life skills. One meeting we set up an bike maintenance class in my garage. I don’t specifically remember putting air in the tires but can’t believe I didn’t cover that along with fixing flats and oiling the chain. In Boy Scouts I did the personal financial management class where we covered checks, the federal reserve, banking systems, investments etc. One of my students is now a financial planner.

+1
The worst case example of this was many years ago, when the doofus in line in front of me decided that this was the appropriate time and place to do the calculations in his checkbook, prior to writing the check. :rage:

All I can say is Thank God for the self-checkouts at supermarkets, Home Depot, and Lowe’s. The folks who want to write checks have to go to an attended checkout, and I can take care of my business at the self checkout very rapidly without having to wait for people to search for their checkbook, then search for a pen, then sloooowly write out a check, etc.

Do you folks have trouble at stores which have a bevy of bargain deals, but each having difficult to interpret restrictions, must buy a certain number of the item, or must spend a certain amount of money, or requiring coupons & such? I seem to manage to find myself in line behind someone who’s attempting to interpret the restrictions to get the lowest price. Most recently the buyer was attempting to purchase a stop smoking product. He’d swipe his credit card, see the amount on the receipt, ask for a refund, and try again. sigh …

I guess I’m not fussy. I usually check my eggs but at the checkout when they check I once had a carton with a broken egg. I said oh well I’ve got one less egg. Let me get out of here. I’m not going to wait to get another carton of eggs. Others may disagree. I hate stores.