Taxing your mileage instead of taxing gas

Roads are a public service in my opinion. As stated previously gas tax and mileage tax are a burden to the working poor. I like the funding out of general revenue to prevent people who need the roads unable to use them because of income.

The fuel tax to fund highways is quite fair if it were closely monitored to reduce the pet projects and under the table deals that are all too common. As I said re strawberries, if I wish to reduce my highway use tax I can wait for the local crop to be in season to enjoy them. The plethora of taxes on specific products, levied for the support of various associated government institutions seems fair enough. The fuel tax increases the price of the strawberries but without the highway what would it cost to have fresh strawberries on Groundhogs day in New York City? It would seem unfair to eliminate all the nit picking taxes and replace the funds with an increase in income tax as that wouldn’t allow me to save my money and wait for the home grown crop.

And shadowfax, I recognize when someone refers to me as R-K, RK or just Rod. Honestly, I sometimes lose track of who I am quoting or answering and often my comment involves answering or commenting to posts from more than one person.

Does anyone else begin a post but after interruptions or searches regarding the subject you finish your reply and hit send to see that your post is now 3 or 4 posts later in the sequence than when started and a great deal of the meaning is lost?

“So in other words, the consumer pays for the trucker’s use of the road, and the trucker gets off scot-free even though his entire income is based on having roads. How’s that fair?”

It is fair because the trucker is not guaranteed to be repaid for the fuel tax. Trucking seems like a competitive business. The trucker has to bid for the deliveries. Given a competitive environment, the trucker has to be efficient to pay all his expense, like taxes, and earn enough to live on. I hear that is very difficult.

Thats why you dont see as many owner operators now,a lot of truckers either sell out or lease thier rigs and themselves to big firms and let them keep up with all the red tape ,the fuel taxes and excise taxes are horrendous. A rig is almost a labor of love now,not a cash cow-Kevin