Tariffs and cars

Why is that even needed at all? With modern recording equipment, why does a court reporter even still exist? Lots of jobs will fall into this.

If $15 an hour is minimum wage, that $100K burger making machine looks pretty economical. How many of us scan our own purchases? Checkout Clerk used to be a pretty good job in 1973. Now how many are there? I can go months without ever being served by an actual person at a bank. No longer a need.

3 Likes

Anyone who believes that they will get anything from Hannity–other than a WH-approved sound bite that lacks any connection with reality–is not fully operating within a sphere of reality.

1 Like

… and yet Ronnie Ray-Gun and Papa Bush were supporters of NAFTA.
Go figure…

…because lawyers talk fast, and even with a recording, people can disagree about what was said. Some lawyers start a new sentence without finishing the first one, and making them read and sign off on what they said before leaving a deposition makes a difference.

A court reporter does more than record words, he or she also asks for clarification when needed, particularly in a deposition.

Don’t underestimate a court reporter’s job. It’s not as easy to automate as you think. Conference rooms are not acoustically designed to be sound booths.

4 Likes

Not directly responding to Whitey, but to the point: we often see here on the forum when we rely on talk-to-text that the results can be pretty mangled.

And in general, now that I see there are some mention of Hannity and diminutive names for Reagan, etc.: reminder to please keep the discussion and neutral and substantive as possible so we don’t end up throwing tomatoes at each other. Things have gone pretty OK so far. :v:

6 Likes

I would highly recommend the book “Smear” by Sheryl Atkisson if you think you are getting other than sound bites from the general media. Very eye opening especially when all the networks just repeat the same message verbatim. Ask why that is?

To get back to cars though, the local O’Reilly is relocating. It’s very seldom I ever see more than one car there but they bought a lot for $500,000 and are building a new building with 2000 additional square feet. Just calculating in my own mind how many brake shoes they would have to sell to even break even and it doesn’t compute. Gotta be something I’m missing especially since I thought the car part business is contracting.

Maybe your local Oreillys is doing the Pep Boy thing and adding service bays?

2 Likes

All the McParts stores are built to either retail size or retail plus district warehouse size with the larger locations making daily deliveries to smaller stores. The O’Reilly’s warehouse store near me delivers to smaller stores 60+ miles away.Auto Zone has a similar warehouse store here while Advance is lagging. And an additional 2,000 square feet more than a standard store sounds like warehouse.

2 Likes

I don’t think most people have any Idea how many good paying manufacturing jobs have left the country, especially in the Northeast and Midwest. I was in trucking from the mid 50s to the mid 90s based in Buffalo NY. In the 50s we used to stop making deliveries about !!am when working the city and start making outbound pickups and many business were open to 9pm or midnight for shipping. There were few neighborhoods in Buffalo that didn’t have manufacturing going on. By the 90s most trailers leaving Buffalo were empty but had to get back to the ports or rail yards to be filed with all the shoddy, throw away consumer goods.

Did you know that in the 50s you could buy a better toaster by far than you can get now and many of them are still functioning. Our 140 Philco radio was much better than any of the flat sounding radios of today.

We can’t all make a good living cutting each others hair, flipping each others burgers or selling each other things on the phone.

I don’t see any hope of any politicians of ANY party to benefit the American people when they are all representing the deep pocket special interests that give them the money to get elected.

When the right to petition the government was put in the Constitution, I don’t think today’s lobbying was what the framers had in mind.

5 Likes

That is entirely possible. I was surprised recently to see that a NAPA parts store in a nearby town is now at least 3 times its former size, and has several service bays.

2 Likes

We have a Napa like that as well. Stopped in to buy a part, and they told me they were service only.

I’m using my grandmother’s toaster that she bought 35 years ago. It was made overseas.

Any politician who campaigns on such a populist economic message is blowing smoke. That’s the very message Trump campaigned on: Economic Nationalism, but he has discovered that all his ideas either don’t work or would lead to inflation and an erosion of Americans’ standard of living.

…and therein lies the problem: In order to bring back those manufacturing jobs, you’d have to tax imports or close our borders, hurting our economy and driving up the cost of goods in the process, and therefore, driving down American standard of living.

There are two ways to measure standard of living:

-One is to compare the cost of standard goods, such as food staples, from one region to another. Will higher grocery prices improve you life just because they create more low-skilled jobs for Americans?

-The other is to measure how much you can buy with a dollar, or another set amount, and compare that from one region to another. When a dollar buys significantly less than it does now due to inflation, so you think Americans will benefit?

…and that’s the problem with this argument that participating in a global economy is harmful to Americans, that it involves ignoring the effects of bringing jobs back for people who refuse to work for poverty-level wages. This expectation that anyone is willing to work for poverty-level wages (aside from the undocumented immigrants we keep turning away) is the house of cards your whole economic populist message is built upon.

We actually had a good thing going in our pre-9/11 world, where migrant farm workers would come to the U.S., do jobs Americans wouldn’t do, and pump the money they earned back into our economy, stimulating economic growth as their children were educated and became American entrepreneurs, creating more jobs. At the end of harvesting season, the migrant farm workers would go back home, not having to rely on American social support systems between harvesting seasons. Then we closed the exit door, trapping them here, thinking it wouldn’t slow down our economy, but leading to two recessions. Even George W. Bush had the sense to try to create a guest worker program to stem the effects of the clamp down.

About 110 years ago, H. L. Mencken pointed out that immigrants were out-competing native-born Americans at both the top and bottom of the economic spectrum. The advantage they had was that immigration, legal and illegal, is a Darwinian sorting process that selects tough, energetic, and optimistic people.

Ronald Reagan once said this is the country optimists move to. Americans who have been here for multiple generations, particularly in rural areas, are passive people who haven’t moved to where the opportunities are, and who see as a step down what someone from Guatemala sees as something better than back home. Pedro’s Mexican Grocery is an insult to Joe Local, who doesn’t have the motivation to start his own business. He doesn’t want his town revitalized by some foreigner who’s smarter and harder (and cheaper) working than he is; that’s too humiliating.

The American economy was built on the backs of immigrant laborers. Now you have to have an engineering degree (for example) to get a work visa. Did we really think our economy wouldn’t notice the difference?

Another “sky is falling” sensational story that has wasted the time of the author and people who read the story (I took a glimpse at it… sigh).

It was like watching a CBS fake news story this morning (following their comedians bashing our President), about vegetables from Mexico getting set to jump 25% because of our President’s threat to start charging tariffs on imports from the south. It featured putting fear into me about how much avacados and peppers could cost me by fall. Oh, the humanity!

First of all, this 5% tax hasn’t happened and if it does probably would not last long. I seriously doubt it would ever go above 5% before getting the help needed from Mexico to end or reduce the influx of illegals into our country.

Besides, taxing imports could help U.S. companies who grow food or produce cars and car parts here.

We finally have a leader, a brilliant negotiator, in charge, who is willing and can get the job done.

So, before we all start to panic, take some deep breaths, sit back and watch a leader make our country more secure. (By the way, it’s already starting to happen. Mexico has made some decent offers and more will be coming). Relax!
:evergreen_tree::sunglasses::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

We us to have a parts and service store called VIP here in NH, ME and MA. O’Reilly’s bought the parts department. So most of the O’Reilly’s you see around here also have a VIP service dept.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/397130/vip-and-o-reilly-automotive-a-perfect-fit

1 Like

Average household income is up, unemployment is down to historical levels, stock market is up, GDP is up, average hourly wages are up all over the last 2 years. Improvements for all quintiles of wage earners.

So “not working”? Just looking at the numbers, it seems to be working.

3 Likes

Ahh Ha! The DIY market is softening, the service market is strong, so O’Reilly’s expands to include service. I hope Pep Boys is not getting some competition in the “poor service” market.

1 Like

And reported job growth for the last month is WAY down.

I think Obama did a great job turning the economy around. Trump’s tax cuts may kill the progress we’ve had.

2 Likes

Let us not forget the other factor, which is really the elephant in the room. Unless US manufacturers are willing to eliminate automated/robotic functions in their US factories, “manufacturing jobs” won’t be coming back to the US. The chance of them going back to pre-automated/pre-robotic days is somewhere less than slim.

Yes, it is possible that the imposition of tariffs could cause some companies to re-open their old US factories, but the actual jobs in those factories would be very limited.
:thinking:

1 Like

THEE biggest factor for manufacturing job loss in this country is automation. Nothing else comes close to effecting manufacturing jobs more. Service jobs have been the second biggest group effected by automation. This is something all sides of the debate refuse to address.

Exactly, which really makes it obvious that people were extremely naive, or uniformed, or unable to analyze facts if they believed a campaign promise to “bring manufacturing jobs back to The US”.

And, those service jobs (essentially jobs for those lacking skills) are mostly gone forever. The elevator operators, street sweepers, parking attendants–and others who lacked skills–have been unemployed for quite a while.