Synthetic oil

@MikeInNH, in addition to what @Docnick has said, the point I was making was that if you take a 5W-30 full synthetic, or a 10W-30 full synthetic, or a 20W-40 full synthetic, you won’t get the same advantage in winter starting that you do with a 0W-whatever full synthetic. In other words, what makes the oil better for subzero cold starts is its viscosity, not it’s syntheticness.

(Yeah, I just made up a word. Deal with it.)

:slight_smile:

Viscosity ratings are measured at 0C and 100C.
Even though 5W synthetic and 5W dino have the same (within the range defined as 5W) viscosity at 0C, when it gets colder at some point the dino viscosity will take a sharp turn upward.
Dino contains waxes and other fractions that suddenly solidify at low temps.
Synthetic oil’s uniform molecules all stay liquid to a lower temp.

you won't get the same advantage in winter starting that you do with a 0W-whatever full synthetic.

But you SHOULDN’T/CAN’T (without voiding warranty) use 0w IF your vehicle does NOT recommend 0w- . So that point is moot for many vehicles.

n other words, what makes the oil better for subzero cold starts is its viscosity, not it's syntheticness.

Yes obviously viscosity has a role on how well it flows…but so does syntheticness…lol

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Mobil_1_Cold_Starts.aspx

http://www.cardwelldist.com/dev/Cardwell-Blog/3-Reasons-Why-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-Is-The-Best-Bet-In-Winter

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/consumer-interest/HKHBYmL/synthetic-motor-oils.htm

@‌Whitey

I create new words every now and then.
In the late 70s I did maintenance consulting and sold a large firm on the concept of “Maintainability”. This term covers both the cost and the effectiveness of applying maintenance, well as the ease of getting to the equipment. A small $8000 contract resulted in the company saving $1.2 million on a typical major plant maintenance or “turnaround”.

The US military had developed similar concepts to maximize mission readiness and field repairs.

Of course a 0W oil is better at low temperatures that a 10W or 5W oil. Synthetics allow us to formulate oils with a very wide viscosity range, such as 0W40, 5W50 so we can address both extreme heat and very low starting temperatures.

syntheticity…

I like syntheticness better. But my cars call for dino at this point.

@Whitey‌
From what I under stand, if some one ever sells a full mineral based oil tomorrow with 0w properties for cold weather, it would still not be as “good” a lubricant over time as a quality synthetic base. Synthetics maintain their lubricating properties after being subjected to the stresses of use over time better then the irregular shaped base molecules of mineral oil. That is also why synthetics can functionally have their oil changing extended. The viscosity rating in mineral oils just doesn’t hold up as well after use breaks down the oil. So called blended synthetics using mineral oil as a base suffer from the same problems and are often not rated for extended change intervals. If they had a viscosity rating of 0w-20, they would still not hold up as well as a quality synthetic in use. So, all 0w-20 ratings are not the same when it comes to several thousand miles of use.

This is a similar discussion as tow rating for comparing trucks when one is new and another is old with many more miles of use. These ratings just don’t hold up over time and use. Motor oil is NO different and viscostiy is subject to change, unpredictably over miles of use.

@galant‌
Quality Synthetics and mineral oils are compatible and unless your cars are antiques, you can realize benefits using them; cold weather wear being one of them and thermal break down being another. None of my tractors ever had synthetic oil recommended yet all benefit greatly from their use. They started easier in cold weather, cooled easier when hot and generally lasted longer as all Relatively new ICE motors do in the last twenty years using synthetics. It’s just a mater of economics whether to use them or not. It’s never a matter of superior performance…that’s a given !