Synthetic oil

@db4690 …you speak the truth sir. I agree 100%. I’ve never had a timing chain failure or a sludged engine but I keep my vehicles maintained to the nth degree. Some vehicle owners are their own worst enemies.

The recalls and $$$$$$$ spent by Chevy and Toyota speak for themselves.

The GM and Toyota problems weren’t related to oil, but to poor engine design. I’ve used the OLM on one car with lots of miles on it (158,000) and there are no ill effects from going about 7500 miles between changes with mineral oil. We wait until the OLM is between 20% to 10% and then get it changed. I tell the family to do it at 20%, but the youngsters typically wait until around 10%.

Also, just using synthetic oil does not automatically extend oil change intervals. The oil has to have increased levels of the additives that prevent oil breakdown. If it has the same level as mineral oil, you run a much higher risk of damaging the engine.

There were some GM cars that experienced timing gear failure prematurely, in part because of weak materials, and also those vehicles have had their oil life monitor systems reprogrammed (or should have) to reduce the interval between changes.

The two biggest factors of which the manufacturer has no control is oil level and oil quality. GM is pretty clear about their oil life monitor system and I trust it completely, with 2 qualifications.

One, use the correct oil. Too many people either get their oil changed at the local brake an muffler chain and get whatever brand of 10W30 is in the barrel or change it at home with whatever is on sale at Walmart. If the vehicle specifies dexos5W30, then use it.

Two, being able to go 10,000 miles between changes does not mean you don’t need to check or add oil in that time. You’d be surprised how often cars come on with low oil levels, and I don’tjust mean one quart low. I don’t car what kind of oil you’re using or how often you change it, if your engine is habitually run 2-3 quarts low, you’re going to have problems.

@asemaster nailed it again, as he so often does

Oh stop it.

I am giving synthetic oil a thought too. Currently our cars get 18-22K miles a year. On mine I know the driving condition is not severe; this based on OLM on a previous car. This is a Mazda and calls for Motorcraft semi-syn 5W-20 and that is what I use. The catch is that the manual calls for 5-7.5K oil change interval, but I do it at 3.5-4 (OCD, I know). I am thinking for $10 more I can get the Mobil synthetic jug and with that I would be more comfortable going 7K miles. Still thinking about it and not done it yet.
One problem is that this car has a 6qt capacity and I buy 2 gallons and leave the rest for next time. So I have to use all the supply of my dino oil before switching; speak of complicated :slight_smile:

http://cutcaster.com/photo/800991171-Hammer-and-nail/

I change oil in my Olds once a year. Takes 8 1/2 quarts plus a filter. I had 7 miles on it and the OLM was still at 100%. Maybe once a year is excessive. I used to change it twice a year with winter and summer oil. Could have been more or less I guess since I don’t keep track of tenths of a mile.

My rule of thumb is . . . even if the car gets extremely limited use, change the oil once a year

Sooner, of course, if you use it regularly

@rocketman: See what I posted on the subject of synthetic oil, including the cost (those are Walmart costs quoted) and change interval:

I threw this challenge out a few months ago and got no response, so I’ll do it again. I’ve read dozens of Camry sludged engine reports and can find NONE where the owner switched to synthetic oil at the first scheduled oil change. Can ANYONE find such a complaint? (I didn’t think so.)

Galant, I don’t consider that OCD at all. I sometimes change mine because it’s been a while since I had a good look-see under the hood and under the car and I need an excuse. I’ve found over the years that the good look-see has sometimes been as valuable as the oil change. I recall looking around under the hood of my old pickup once and seeing a green area on the radiator that I didn’t like. I changed the radiator, and when I removed it I put my finger right through the green spot. I just changed the front struts on my car because the bump stops on the dampers were breaking down, a sign that the struts were probably hitting them more than they should. Of course the struts did admittedly have over 210,000 miles on them… And yesterday I had the opportunity to show a friend what “wear bars” on the tires mean… and what they look like when the tire gets worn down to them (he says sheepishly). I also showed her how to use a tire tread gage.

There have been numerous times over the years that I’ve found problems before they became problems just by looking around.

@insightful‌

What is your point

Please just spell it out

I’m asking because those older Camrys did not require synthetic oil. They did require oil changes every 5K/6 months, if I recall correctly

“The first scheduled” oil change would be 5K, and nobody would have switched to synthetic that soon. Back in those days, synthetic oil wasn’t nearly as commonly used as today. And fewer places had it on sale for $5 or $6/qt

“…nobody would have switched to synthetic that soon.”

WRONG, I would have.

The point is simple: Synthetic oil performs better than dino oil, and in some situations will make the difference between a delightful car ownership experience and a nightmare for no extra cost.

@insightful‌

No disrespect intended . . . but did you know about the Toyota sludging 15 or 20 years ago

I’ll freely admit I did not

Hindsight is 20-20 and it’s easy to say you would have done things differently versus lots of other people

Again . . . no disrespect intended

No disrespect taken. I’ve been using synthetic exclusively since 1997. Anyone like me buying a Camry would have had no sludging problems.

Then you are in the extremely tiny majority

I would guess that less than 5% of Camry owners were using synthetic back in 1997

As long as “following the manufacturers recommendations” includes extending oil change intervals when using synthetic oil. Manufacturers give you an out when you have heavy use. I have one car that has a 10k oil change. But, I live on a dirt road, tow with it and do short trips in winter weather. I believe that shortening it a bit from 10k to 7500 seems appropriate.

But, just keeping the interval the same old while using synthetic, just to maximizing the life of the motor, makes little sense when you drive less then 10k a year and your cars body will long give out before the motor does. Cars are designed to rust…so good car maintenance takes a sensible and balanced approach to that end. Use manufacturers recommendations…they did the gazintas.

Cars are designed to be replaceable commodities NOT investments. If you want them to last a very long time, good maitence includes MFR AND good body maintenance. The bod is worth much more then the motor !!! A better use for excess oil use…is to spray it Into body panel seems, correctly.

I’ve been putting synthetic oil in my mother’s sludge-prone 2002 Toyota Sienna for a few years, but before I realized the engine was one of Toyota’s sludgers, I was using conventional oil and noticed no problems.

@insightful, it seems like you’re asking someone to prove a negative. Are you? What does my experience indicate?