Synthetic Oil

From what I’ve read here Synthetic oil can expose leaks in an older engine oil because of greater cleaning properties that removes sludge build up. I bought my Ford E350 110K, 2 months ago and the oil was changed at that time. I’ve put 2K on it since and the oil is still very clear on the dipstick but not quite to the full mark. Would the still clear looking oil indicate a well maintained engine and a probable lack of sludge? Would it therefore be safe to change to Mobil 1 or similar product? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If synthetic oil is not specified in your owner’s manual, you really don’t need to go to the extra expense of synthetic oil in my opinion. However, if you want to use it, as long as you use the viscosity specified for the engine, synthetic oil will be fine. Synthetic will provide better lubrication at extremely low temperatures.

Would the still clear looking oil indicate a well maintained engine and a probable lack of sludge?

Clean oil on the dipstick has NOTHING to do if the engine has sludge or even maintained well. It just means the oil that’s in the crank case NOW is not dirty.

My experience is, if you have a car that oil changes have been neglected on, the oil turns black almost immediately after changing and driving.
The fact that your oil is clean after 2000 miles is a good sign.
I agree with Triedaq on the synthetic.