SUV with Rear Opening Glass?

That’s why I referenced your earlier post. And I would agree that a roll-down window would likely be the most handy for the OP’s intended purpose.

The OP has probably left the building. That said trying to answer this question is futile. Even if I had such a vehicle how would I know if there was enough room behind the seats for the dogs. Would the operation of the window be easy or annoying for the OP. This is simply a case where someone will have to do there on research.

1 Like

Normally I agree, but this was a simple question: what small SUVs have flip open windows? No judgment call needed.

1 Like

That is true. It is not complicated. All I am asking is do you know of any SUV models (Escape Class) that have a rear opening window.

Thank you, I’m looking for the same feature. Great when you have a bike rack on & just want to grab something out of trunk area!

1 Like

They’re smaller and getting old, but the 2003-8 Toyota Matrix has the separate glass opening.
In 2009 the bean counters got their way and dropped the feature.

I stumbled across this page and while reading I was disappointed to find that some people do not know how to properly reply to a question. So I created this account simply to say that people like @VOLVO_V70 are not funny nor witty in their responses.

1 Like

Thank you for your comment.

It is always not technical knowledge, I mean I know points (ie the ones you can adjust with a dwell meter), rebuilds etc. even diagnosed a bad fan clutch for a buds 2009, but the more the merrier, hang around!
As I say you cannot even go to sesame street without dealing with Oscar the grouch.

1 Like

& remember that posters may have hidden agendas.

I guess the comical part is a negative comment on a negative comment. Hee hee. Some just don’t see the humor in that. Like I said though before, some people insist on letting management know when there is something they don’t like. It’s a control thing. Others just don’t go to that business any more and don’t think its their job to make corrections.

2 Likes

I owned a 2005 Toyota Matrix with this feature. I used it frequently. Unfortunately, I traded it in for sedan. Since then, I’ve missed the versatility of that car, but wrote it off as a trade-off for the comfort & amenities of my sedan.
After enjoying my sedan for the last 6 yrs, I’ve started paying attention to the latest hatchbacks. None of the seem to offer the flip-up rear glass. I think that the Highlander is the last one of the medium sized cars. None of the smaller hatchbacks seem to offer this feature. I think the giant GM SUVs like the Denali have pop-up rear glass windows.
Although I’ve looked for articles to shed insight about the collective demise of this feature, the literature is seemingly non-existant. Our best source is stipulation about this unfortunate trend. My conjecture is that it was a combination of forces. One may be that it’s cheaper to produce a less complex tailgate sans a rear opening glass. My guess about the second is lobbying from insurance industry. I suppose it’s cheaper for their bottom line to replace tailgates that are less mechanically complex.
I’d love to hear someone in the industry interject. In the interim, ask that question to the decision makers when possible. Maybe that question could get picked up by the car magazines if you promulgate it.

Not having the flip-up glass reduces the price, makes the wiring to the rear defogger more robust, gives less opportunity for a water leak, and makes the hatch structurally stiffer, so those are all probably factors here.

Thanks. I believe this is now a long past topic. Most all small SUV’s have changed from a box shaped rear to a more aerodynamic swept design. If you look at the size of the rear glass in all these cars, it isn’t worth having the glass open because you could put anything through the rear window except a small hand bag.

I have a 2014 Toyota Highlander LE which doesn’t have an opening rear glass. However every trim level above the LE does. So they do exist.

1 Like

Well have you found anything good yet? I’m looking for something with a roll down window in the back
Not a pop up rear window.

My 1966 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser had a power roll down rear window. Photo from Wikipedia I sold my olds years ago

The Jeep Wrangler definitely has this feature with the hardtop. The only issue is the tailgate must be opened first. Had an older Jeep Liberty and the glass opened first. In our experience, we’ve found with dogs, it’s better if you can open the glass first. Have a little chat, settle the excitement then open the tailgate. With the tailgate opening first, they tend to try and duck out under the glass. Of course it’s all training, however the glass opening first just feels safer. Hard to find these days though. Good Luck.

The person asking for help with this rear glass thing asked in 2016 . Spacebat was not looking for a vehicle and I don’t think they are involved with this forum now.

3 Likes