Surging

I have a surging engine whenever I have the heat or AC on with the directional knob on any position except off. The fan also does not work at all when both knobs are straight up (in the off position).

Someone mentioned freon (spelling?).

Any ideas? It is a 2002 ford ranger 4wd.

Thanks

Quote: The fan also does not work at all when both knobs are straight up (in the off position). Unquote…Eh?

Slight engine surge is normal when the compressor cuts in and out when the A/C is on.

Peace, it’s better to start a separate topic for your problem, so as not to distract from the OP’s problem.

OP: Your fan switch line confused me. The fans should not work when they are turned off.

The surging when the AC is on can be caused on relatively low-power engines when the compressor turns on and off. It saps a bunch of horsepower, and so when it turns on you suddenly have less power available to move the car. The opposite happens when it turns off. If you’re noticing it now, and haven’t in the past, it could be because the compressor is cycling on and off fairly rapidly. They do this when the system is low on refrigerant. The solution is to have the system leak-tested, any leaks fixed, and then have it recharged.