Suggestions for a Woman's Convertible

You can get a 2008 Camry Solara SLE convertible for $20,000 or less (last year made). Test drive one and see if you like it. The SLE is the top of the line, so any Solara convertible is in your price range. I normally don’t recommend Toyotas because they are expensive, but this one is worth it.

Brand new, a no frills Miata starts about $23k. When the 2013 models start coming on the lot, look for a 2012 model and you might be able to get it for $20k if you can negotiate good.

A little addition to bscar’s excellent advice:

Mazda is offering a $250 rebate and $1000 dealer incentive. I think that the buyer is welcome to the entire dealer incentive. I got the whole thing when I bought my Honda. The great thing about dealer incentives is that they are deducted before taxes. The rebate is paid after taxes are figured. You could get a 2012 Miata for $23,500 now with the incentives. BTW, this is with an auto transmission. The manual version is about $21,500 if the dealer passes o the entire dealer incentive.

I keep egging Triedaq on to buy a Mazda Miata. I know that he is too tall to be comfortable in one, but I would fit in it and enjoy driving it. Triedaq would probably drive it for a couple of weeks and then go back to his comfortable minivan leaving me something sporty to drive.

Ms. Triedaq

Between my wife and I we have shared several cars including Mazda Miata, Mini, Cooper &
VW Beetle

I have liked all of them. However that is the point. They are all cars my wife and I have liked, I have no idea if you are going to like any of them. So I suggest you consider all the cars recommended including some that you might not normally consider, maybe one will be right for you. Good Luck.

I own 3 miata and 2 mr2 - I love them all… low on maintenance, cheap on gas, and VERY reliable

I pity the fool that wouldn’t buy you a Miata, Ms T.

A friend of mine bought a Crossfire convertable for his wife, they were happy with it until she broke her ankle and could no longer drive a stick due to lingering complications. Interested to hear what others think of the car.

Looks like Honda discontinued the S2000. Proof that they’re content with being boring.

+1 for the Crossfire. I’m 6’0" and the hardtop model is too small for me to fit in comfortably…so I’d imagine the convertible is similar. The Crossfire is a badge engineered Mercedes, so it ought to be pretty sporty.

I’m 6’0" and the hardtop model is too small for me to fit in comfortably

So you’d only drive it in fair weather when you can put the top down???

I wouldn’t call the Crossfire sporty, just as I wouldn’t call the SLK280 it is based on sporty. At least not as sporty as many similar models, like the Boxter, X3 or Nissan Z-car. It is a fun car, though. I had the roadster as a rental and found it comfortable and easy to drive. The trunk had enough room for my briefcase and 22" roll-aboard bag with the top down, but I had to push hard to get them both in. It is old enough now that it is at or under $20,000 and is priced well below an equivalent SLK280.

For anyone looking for a bargain sports coupe, the 2005/2006 Crossfire SRT-6 is worth a look, and they can be purchased for under $17,000. 330HP/310ft-# is quite a lot for such a small car.

Just watch out for the tires on the Crossfire. VERY low profile, an odd size I think, and can be different sizes front vs. rear, depending on the options.