Sudden Epidemic of Giant Pickup Jerks

Kinda reminds me of today. We used to argue about who was the real patriot back then and I guess I still don’t know.

1 Like

I returned from the war in 1970 and found a cold reception from the vast majority of people. There were occasional semi-hostile situations at the airports on my way home but the greatest problem was back home where the unspoken advice was “shut up and move on” that was silently shouted at veterans at every turn for many years. .

But like so much of life we all go along with what is trending whether it’s fashions or politics. Luckily for the current generation of veterans it is trendy to support them. And buying all the luxury and power you deserve using easy financing is trendy in the automobile market. But what about tomorrow?

Trendy? No, it’s patriotic.
As a third-generation veteran of war who’s also the father of a current E-6 Seabee who served in the mountains of Afghanistan, I find the oblivious attitude toward our military members absolutely appalling.

And the “patriots” during Vietnam were NOT the ones who were openly showing hostility toward us. Throwing things at people marching in uniform is NOT an act of courage. It’s an act of cowardice.

Veterans hate war. But they’re willing to fight to stop or prevent it. “Peaceniks” lack the courage. A strong military and the demonstrated willingness to use it prevents war. Peaceniks only encourage our adversaries to attack us and/or our allies.

Apologies for taking the discussion on a tangent, but I will NOT ignore blasé attitudes toward our military or comments that those throwing bottles at us in 1970 might be “patriots”. This country was founded on the willingness to fight for our country. Patriots are those still willing to do so.

Now, may we please return to the subject of trucks?

Don’t misunderstand me. I went through the airports in uniform too in 1970 but didn’t really experience any hostility. It might have been more of a west coast thing than midwest or the south. I just meant the folks protesting back then thought they were patriots for forcing a change in government. The folks today protesting and throwing bottles also think they are the patriots trying to bring down a government. I suggest that neither were or are patriots but both sides will still argue that point. A confused public.

Some thought they were so patriotic that they fled to Canada, just like today. I say don’t let the door hit you . . . If you go to the Ford Presidential museum in Grand Rapids, there is a display of the medals sent back after he granted clemency to those who fled. Emotions were high, just like today and there were and are no easy answers except the rule of law.

FWIW, for years I displayed a yellow-green-red striped tag on the front of my truck and everyone who mattered recognized what it was, others didn’t matter and still don’t.

As for jerks we meet on the road, whether driving giant trucks or Priuses, they do seem to appear to feel entitled to their ‘King of the Road’ attitude but since I am rarely in a hurry I just allow for their impudence and laugh. They seem so unhappy that someone is ahead of them and someone is always ahead of them or soon will be. What a miserable life.Maybe that misery is part of the price for buying more vehicle than they can actually afford.

Perhaps the desire to always be the center of attention and to always be in charge is not only the motivation for buying huge pickups but also for bullying drivers in smaller vehicles?

NOTE: I recognize that having a huge pickup does not mean someone is a bully… but bullies do seem to like huge pickups.

2 Likes

If you see a giant pickup with one of those 4-way trailer hitch balls installed and the tailgate bent from backing into loading docs and the dash covered with coffee cups the truck is most certainly for work and not hauling a swelled ego @the_same_mountainbike. Of course working drivers can be a pain but can’t we all from time to time. I find the 4 door duallies with swing out steps and custom rims to be the most common road hogs but even those vehicles sometimes have courteous drivers. It’s good to give everyone a little room for egos, errors and incompetence. Then congratulate yourself when your good thinking prevents a problem driver causing damage.

That’s true, but I thought it was clear that those were not the ones we were addressing. Others in the thread offered comments that the subject was trucks proliferating that were not used for work but rather for bullying… and shopping at the mall.

I should point out that four way hitches and bent bumpers are not an excuse for bullying, but these are not the ones I typically see engaged in the behavior. Work trucks are generally pretty considerate of other drivers on the road IMHO.

Hey, you just described the truck I occasionally drive, but don’t own. You tend to be polite when the truck is a rolling billboard for the company you work for complete with phone numbers.

1 Like

So when you see a pick up truck rolling down the road with 2 giant american flags rippling in the breeze what do you think. I think whacko.

For the most part I don’t have much trouble with other drivers here in San Jose. If I’m occassionally in another driver’s way they just signal & pass me with no complaint. I try to keep to the right myself, except to pass or when I need to turn left. But I did have a run-in with a Dodge Ram pickup a couple of times last month, nearly brand new truck by appearances. Same pickup & presumably same driver both times. In both cases it happened a round 5:30-5:45 pm, right when it was just dark enough to turn on the headlights. Both times I was in the right hand (slow lane) of a multi-lane road travelling almost but not quite the speed limit (of 35 mph), a little less than that b/c of poor lighting that time of the day and lots bicyclers and pedestrians along the side of the road. Like I say the Corolla was in the slow lane, the fast lane to the left was free. The pickup driver wanted to go faster and didn’t want to be bothered with having to pass me. His response to my Corolla being in his way: HONK HONK HONK HONK , FLASHING LIGHTS, FLASHING LIGHTS!!! … the first time this happened he finally passed, then purposely cut me off nearly clipping the poor Corolla’s fender with the back of his truck. Quick braking on my part avoided a Corolla dent.

That fella has a brother near me @George_San_Jose1.

So you met this guy too. Makes me really consider starting to drive with a dash cam, like all the drivers in Russia do.

There have been at least two incidents in my driving career where dash cam footage would have really been helpful though neither was as serious as this one.

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/warrant-issued-after-austin-woman-claims-man-punched-her-following-road-rage-incident/498834261

I NEVER wore my when home or when stateside outside base unless I had to. I wore my fatigue jacket a few times during the winter I got out of the Army and more then once I was called baby killer.

I too distain the attitude some people take toward our troops. But don’t get that confused with people who are against war. I had no problem with US sending troops to Afghanistan, but did NOT support the US sending troops to Iraq. But I always supported the troops who went there. Worked sending care packages. Volunteered at a Veterans homeless shelter. Hell - I wasn’t a big fan of the Vietnam war (before the war, or when I was over there, or when I came back). The US never should have been there.

Many people get confused with NOT supporting a war and NOT supporting our troops. You can NOT support a war and still support the troops. And every person I know who has a problem making that distinction never served.

3 Likes

I agree quite strongly with this point. I haven’t served myself (recruiter actually didn’t show up for my appointment), but I have several family members who have along with many friends who have. We all have come to agree on this point as well.

Now swinging back to topic of trucks, I remember in one of the nasty snowstorms we had a few years ago, I convinced my wife to go with me to go see a movie despite the snow. Some jerk in a monstrous pickup nearly put me over a curb when he cut me off going into in the parking lot. I will admit I was quite happy when we left later and he was getting his truck towed out on a wrecker (I didn’t see the accident, but I’ll bet he gunned it too hard and put himself over a concrete barrier for some nice damage)

I wonder how much of today’s outrageous behavior can be blamed on reality television? From super diesel trucks to street racing challenges there’s a genre of over the top high drama kings for the struggling wannabe heroes to mimic.

BTW, reality television is on a par with championship wrestling and I wonder who falls for all that REALITY(?)?

2 Likes

Reality shows are far more scripted than most people realize. Like that chopper building show, I think every episode had at least one staged argument and personal crisis as they try to beat a totally artificial deadline.

If that’s the case then those people shouldn’t be allowed to get a license.

1 Like

You’ve made a good point. There were a great many that opposed and even protested against the war who were veterans and many who were not but always were respectful toward the troops. Those I respect. It was the ones who took their unhappiness out on the troops who I call the “peaceniks”.

I love my son and will always support our troops… but I did not support the invasion of Iraq.

Now, back to trucks?

Yeah my encounter was heading to Lowes a while back. Its kind of a screwy intersection with a left turn lane and a straight ahead lane at a stop light. Then you have a block to move over to the left lane to turn into Lowes or go straight to Kohls on either the left or right lane. So a big truck was in the left turn lane and I was in the straight lane at the stop light. The light turned and then proceeded to the left lane to go to Lowes. Well this guy decided to go straight from the turn lane instead of turning and honked and gunned his engine, etc. in disapproval. In fact the guy and his buddy actually circled through Lowes before they left to go to Kohls. I’m unarmed but not sure if they were. I’m not sure what they would have said if I told them they went straight in a left turn lane either. Big guys, raised truck, loud exhaust, temper temper. Shoulda stopped at Cabella’s on the way home to look at weapons.