Subaru speedometer

My speedometer only works intermittently. My mechanic says it has to be rebuilt while I’m without it for two weeks. Another guy says that if it sometimes works, it must be just the cable. Who is right?

Depending on the year of your car, there may not be a cable. Modern speedometers are usually electric, and get their signal from the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) which is mounted to the transmission. A failing VSS, or a faulty connection, might cause your problem.

I’m not sure either of the guesses you’ve received is correct.

It’s rare for the speedometer itself to fail. It’s not impossible, but it’s rare.

if there were a cable, and it was broken, the speedometer would not operate at all. When speedometer cables start going bad the speedometer needle usually jumps around erratically until the cable breaks, at which time the needle goes to zero.

If there is a speedometer shop in your area, which there must be if your mechanic intends to have the speedometer rebuilt, I suggest taking the car there for another opinion as to the cause of the intermittent operation.

There must not be a shop in the area if it’s to be down for two weeks. He’s probably sending it off somewhere. I agree that the VSS or wiring is a more common issue. A really good scanner should be able to sit in for the speedo to be sure. I’ve had it done, and the wiring was the issue.

It’s a 1995. Would it have a VSS?

Thanks. I’ll look into it more. I’m a 75-year-old lady and I’m at the mercy of the experts.