Subaru parts for places without Subaru dealers

In Mexico “topes” or speed bumps are used extensively to slow traffic…unfortunately, some of them are high enough that they scrape the bottoms of most cars. The Subaru Forester seems to have sufficient ground clearance to clear the topes without the painful sound of the scraping of metal. The problem is that there are no Subaru dealers/maintenance facilities in Oaxaca, where we would be spending our time. The thought would be to take with us the parts that would be unique/critical for the continued health of the car and could be installed by local mechanics. What parts would be prudent to include?
Thanks.

Definitely a timing belt if the Forester is nearing the 8 year or 100k point.
Other than that, I guess the most important things to take with you would be things like filters, spark plugs, and a serpentine belt.

How long are you going to be in Mexico?

You might check into a truck specialty shop and see if they’d be willing to install some of those metal plates underneath your vehicle. I forget what they’re called, but they’re usually installed under the motor and trans area and under the differentials as well.

Skid plates,good idea Bscar-kevin

I’m sure you can buy Subaru parts online. Check into some web sites and then confirm they ship to Mexico. I’d not recommend any parts, just that you confirm a good source at good prices for future needs. Many Subaru dealer sell genuine Subaru parts online. Ebay is a good place to search for parts.

VDCdriver…Going to be in Mexico (Oaxaca) at least four months. Most ex-pats seem to drive CRVs but we may have access at a very good deal on a 2005 Forester LL Bean version and wanted to see if it made sense to take advantage of the deal.

Just make sure that this “good deal” has been serviced at least as well as the mfr’s maintenance schedule specifies. For instance, the timing belt needs to be changed by 105k miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. Depending on when this car was first put into service, that vital maintenance is either due soon or is overdue. You didn’t tell us the odometer mileage, but make sure not to go very far past 105k miles unless you want to risk the engine essentially self-destructing when the belt breaks.

Also–since these engines can be prone to head gasket problems, you should have a mechanic do a visual inspection of the oil for the presence of coolant and a check of the coolant for the presence of oil. Plus, it would be a good idea to use an emissions “sniffer” to determine if combustion gases are getting into the cooling system, and even a compression test might be a good idea.

Additionally, if this car has ever been run with mismatched tires (different brands, different sizes, uneven wear from front to back), you are likely to run into a big repair bill for the AWD mechanism. At least make sure that the present tires have equal wear on all 4, and are of the same brand and size.

I didn’t realize you hadn’t bought the car yet. Are you sure you don’t want to go with a Toyota instead, which I’m guessing is more common there?

True but depending on the cost of the Subaru (which was inherited by someone who has no interest in trying to move it from NY to MI) there might be a difference of about $5,000 for the Subaru vs a Toyota or CR-V. .

You may be better off with a car that isn’t common in the area. Less theft of parts. People used to go there with VW Beetles. Leave those unattended and in about four hours there would be no need for an attendant.