Subaru Head Gaskets

My 2006 Outback needs a new Head Gasket. I know, this is a big surprise for all Subaru Owners!! Here’s my question: Should I replace it with a Subaru OEM Headgasket, or an Aftermarket Head Gasket?

Considering the large amount of labor involved relative to the cost of the gasket, I would go for the best Subaru gasket available.

Replace the head gaskets with a quality aftermarket head gasket set. The aftermarket looks at the weak areas of the orginal head gasket design and then improves on that design to prevent a simular failure. If you install head gaskets from the dealer, you get the same head gaskets with their weak areas that originally came on the engine.

Tester

@Tester the manufacturers do eventually improve their design and offer improved parts.

I’m specifically thinking of Mercedes, GM and Ford
I wouldn’t be surprised if the other guys are the same.

@db4690 If the dealer still has the original head gaskets in their stock, they’re more than willing to sell them off. I don’t think any business is willing to toss millions of dollars of inventory into the dumpster.

Tester

It’s my understanding that Subaru improved their head gaskets because of the common failures earlier. I could be wrong. The OP could post to a Subaru Outback forum and get input from owners who may have more up to date information.

…they must not have improved them much by 2006.