CarTalk.com Blogs Car Info Our Show Deals Mechanics Files Vehicle Donation

Subaru Forester AWD VS. Toyota RAV4 with on Demand 4WD

What will perform better in the ice and snow, and going up and down a long steep driveway? a Subaru Forester or the Toyota RAV4 with their ability to lock the differential on the 4 wheel drive system?

You can search YouTube for comparisons of Subaru vs. the others. It’s fun to watch.

There is no AWD system superior to Subaru’s. I said “AWD,” that’s not the same as 4WD.

The Subaru AWD system will drive the vehicle when the others won’t.

I own a Subaru with AWD and a pickup truck with 4WD. I prefer driving the Subaru when there’s snow on the roads.

what about on a long steep driveway? would the 4 wheel drive be superior for climbing, descending that? I don’t quite understand the difference between subarus AWD and a 4WD on that type of situation. seems they are both send ing power to all wheels?

With the diff locked on a RAV4 (current generation) it would be about the same as a Subaru AWD. I have Subaru AWD and my sister RAV4 with diff lock.

I will say the Toyota AWD in current generation is awful(worthless) in some situations without the diff lock especially if not available.